Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Another 1,000 lbs added to shop floor...

Another 1,000 lbs added to shop floor...

Here I go again...another tool gloat...

And this one...unlike Denise's lathe...is all MINE!

I've been wanting a JLT clamp rack since I first heard of them (thanks to tod!)

Well, eBay let my wish become reality today....actually at midnight last night. I was hoping to find a 6' rack complete with clamps for a good discount. That wasn't meant to be. Instead, I found a TWELVE foot rack complete with clamps...for less than ONE THIRD the cost of new.

It's HUGE...and HEAVY! Here it is hanging out the back of my truck after the trip home:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN7341.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	94.3 KB 
ID:	13798..........Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN7342.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	88.0 KB 
ID:	13799

With the clamps and rack legs out of the truck, it was time to get that monster out and on it's way into the shop. TIme for the shop crane:

Name:	DSCN7343.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	95.0 KB 
ID:	13800

Denise helped me guide the rack into position...then helped getting things bolted back together once it was in position. (Thanks Denise!!! ):

Name:	DSCN7344.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	66.4 KB 
ID:	13801........Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN7347.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	58.4 KB 
ID:	13803

So, there's the 12' rack. Here are the 27 actual clamps that came with the rack:

Name:	DSCN7345.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	95.4 KB 
ID:	13805.........Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN7346.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	97.2 KB 
ID:	13802

This is a used rack and clamp system. That means there's gonna be a massive cleanup effort to get the four years of glue off the clamps. It's not visible in the pictures...but trust me, they're a MESS! And much to my chagrin, the previous owner liked to use plastic resin glue...so getting it off isn't too easy!

Here's a picture of a few clamps that I did an initial glue-scrape-off to get into the rack:

Name:	DSCN7348.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	56.0 KB 
ID:	13804

I think...once we get them cleaned up...they'll serve us well!

Speaking of cleaning off old glue...I've tried lacquer thinner, mineral spirits, and Bix paint stripper. None of them made even a minor dent in the glue. The few clamps I cleaned up enough to sort-of use, I scraped with a 5-in-one and a chisel. We tried a torch...to melt the glue...and are seriously considering lighting a fire and chucking the clamps in to melt the glue. But that seems awful drastic. There's GOT to be an easier way.

Any clean-up suggestions?
    - Marty -
    Fivebraids, Inc.
    When you earnestly believe you can compensate for a lack of skill by doubling your efforts, there’s no end to what you can’t do…

I was wrong...

I just checked on the JLT site and found out that my new tool is even heavier than I thought...

1450 pounds!

No wonder my back hurts tonight...

Still open to any suggestions for cleaning off old glue...
    - Marty -
    Fivebraids, Inc.
    When you earnestly believe you can compensate for a lack of skill by doubling your efforts, there’s no end to what you can’t do…

Nice score Marty! I bet you'll find that extra length coming in handy.

I have a chisel dedicated to scraping glue off of my door clamp, but the fire seems pretty tempting if it won't tweak the steel. I've not found anything better for glue removal.

-JR

Really nice score Marty!

To take the glue off I'd try electrolysis, do you have a large tall plastic garbage can?

That with some water, and the washing baking soda, plus a 12v DC battery charger and you are in business. The clamps will clean themselves while you do other things, so what if it takes even a week, (I doubt it will) it will also remove all the rust from them clamps.

Just a thought.

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Nice score on the clamp rack setup. I've removed glue from clamps with light taps from a ball-peen hammer. (A point-peen hammer might even be better.) Brittle glues like plastic resin have tended to pop off pretty easily in my limited experience.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Ahh Marty, that is a thing of beauty and the finest broom holder I've seen in a while . Great score.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Marty.....You might try acetone..............Nice score.......I don't have enough Bessies to warrant a clamp rack that big!

Aha, Marty, I see you've been up to your Jesse James Tricks again, (you know, make a Raid, then lay low for a short while and then make another Raid). Looks like you hit the Big Time again on this one.

I think Stu "Might" have the right idea on the cleanup. I haven't tried it on Plastic Resin Glue, but it has taken off everything else that's been on the metal I've tried it on. Another suggestion would be to call one of the Mfrs of plastic resin glue and ask them if there's anything that will dissolve or soften it.

Nice Score, so hurry 'n get them cleaned up so we can see some projects coming off that rack.

I do think the electrolysis would work, as it deals with the bond between the base layer of steel and the oxidized top layer. Anything that is NOT attached directly to that base layer WILL come off, might take a bit of time, but it is, once you set up the tub, effortless.

I was skeptical about the process removing paint off of my drill press, Kermit, but it did, the parts came out stupid squeaky clean!

Before

8 hours in the bath........

After

Took about 4 coats of paint off of that piece.

Good luck Marty!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Marty

very cool! I think Stu has got you on the right path for cleaning up those guys

Jay