birthday present to myself

Frank Fusco

Traditionally, I used to go away and spend my birthday (Oct. 26) alone in the woods during our Arkansas muzzle loading hunting season. But, the state moved the date up to earlier in the month so that hasn't happened for a couple years. This year, though, I'll be at a rendezvous in Missouri. Leaving this afternoon. For those of you who don't know, a 'rendezvous' is a gathering of slightly unhinged folks who reenact early American history, generally accepted as pre-1830. We live in small, period correct, tents, wear the clothes of the era, use tools and firearms of the period, cook over open fires and live the life very similar to that time period. Looking around a camp area one would think he has stepped back in time. Any sign of items modern are discouraged and the owner is told to get them out of sight immediately. It is hard work, not always easy because of weather conditions but always fun. Camaraderie is something special. I, quite literally, will leave the real world behind. Once my truck is parked out of sight and I hike back to camp, I'll be in that world of those who made our country what it is today. BTW, this will be my 69th birthday, I'm sure to be the old timer there by quite a few years. I'll bring my digi cam (they are permitted if put away immediately after use) and have folks take pictures of me. I guess we are all a little vain. But, this will be memories for me and family if I never get to another one.

Frank, have fun, I can remember me that I saw such a happening a few tears ago on Dutch TV. And of course HAPPY BIRTHDAY. :b-day:

Frank, it sounds like a great time ahead for you. Do enjoy your birthday.:thumb:

As an aside, and you might already know this, on the military channel last night there was a program that listed the best army rifles dating back to before WW-I. The number one weapon was the AK-47. The nomenclature consisted of A for automatic, K for the Russian army sargent Mikhail Kalashnikov that designed/invented it, and the 47 for the year, 1947, that it went into use. The program said the best feature of the weapon was its simplicity. The Afghans cleaned the barrel by tying shoe laces into knots, dipping the laces in motor oil, and pulling them through the barrel.

My bit of trivia for the day.:doh:

Last edited:
Frank......Happy Birthday and have fun!

They do a bit of that here locally too! The make wooden dugout canoes and reenact Lewis and Clark floating down the Clearwater River. They are so realistic....some, if not all, the canoes eventually get tipped over and the contents spilled into the river.

Frank,

You're a man of many talents and surprises. I hope you have a great time and PLEASE post a few pictures. I like to get away also, but not quite as close to nature. The LOML and I will rent a forest service cabin or fire look out tower several times a year for a 3 or 4 day weekend - no TV, no computer, no radio, no phones, usually no plumbing, electricity or gas. We take the dog and a few books and just forget that the world exists for 72 hours. A welcome and needed recharge of the batteries.
Hope to see you fully recharged and flaunting pictures as soon as you get back!

Frank, it sounds like a great time ahead for you. Do enjoy your birthday.:thumb:

As an aside, and you might already know this, on the military channel last night there was a program that listed the best army rifles dating back to before WW-I. The number one weapon was the AK-47. The nomenclature consisted of A for automatic, K for the Russian army sargent Mikhail Kalashnikov that designed/invented it, and the 47 for the year, 1947, that it went into use. The program said the best feature of the weapon was its simplicity. The Afghans cleaned the barrel by tying shoe laces into knots, dipping the laces in motor oil, and pulling them through the barrel.

My bit of trivia for the day.:doh:

Those guys with the AKs don't want me in woods a hundred yards away with my flintlock. I guarantee.

Frank......Happy Birthday and have fun!

They do a bit of that here locally too! The make wooden dugout canoes and reenact Lewis and Clark floating down the Clearwater River. They are so realistic....some, if not all, the canoes eventually get tipped over and the contents spilled into the river.

I belong to the Early Arkansas Reenactors Association. Several years ago we participated in the making of documentary film of the Dunbar expedition of 1804 starting on the 'Wahsita' (today spelled 'Ouacihita' but still pronounced the same, don't ask me why) river near Arkedelphia. We used a large dugout canoe the guys had made. We now have a 35 ft. keelboat that is used frequently.

rendezvous report

As you know, I'm back from my rendezvous. Update for y'all who don't know what a rendezvous is and just believe I'm nuts... A rendezvous, as I practice it is, by definition, a "gathering". The concept came from the spring time gatherings of mountain men fur trappers in the Rock Mountains and other points west in the early years of our country. The men, who had been trapping beaver all year, would gather at a pre-determined spot to sell their furs to large trading companies. In addition to the business part, the rendezvous gave an opportunity to meet with old friends, note those who were not there and presumed to have gone 'belly up' in the mountains. They drank heavy, shot rifle matches, fought, had 'trysts' with Indian girls, resupplied themselves for the coming year and, often, left the event in debt to the trading company rather than with any real profits. This is a colorful slice of history that is generally not taught in schools and is unknown to most Americans. These are the real discoverers of the west and they are the men who opened trails from St. Louis to the west coast.
Today, we emulate those events and try to maintain an atmosphere that accurately depicts a pre-1830 rendezvous camp. Much of what they did, we do. We trade, have shooting matches, live in clothes and camps of the era. But, do stay relatively well behaved compared to back then. I only had to cave in a couple skulls with my tomahawk the whole week. Low score compared to 1820. ;)
My lodge is called a one-pole pyramid style but is only one type of several that may be seen at a ronny. While it is a tent, they are referred to as a persons 'home' and is respected as such. With the door flap closed, that is considered "locked". Valuables inside are as safe there as in a bank vault. I cooked over an open fire in a small steel brazier. But I'll often use just a fire on the ground.
It was tiring but fun. My feet were not used to running around with soft soled moccasins and hurt for a couple days.
The pictures, in order, are: my arn mule loaded to go; my camp; a supper I fixed one night; me and my rifle at camp and another set-up, a large tee-pee.

Attachments

• bf 1.jpg
    bf 1.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 23
  • bf 2.jpg
    bf 2.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 26
  • bf stand.jpg
    bf stand.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 29
  • bf supper.jpg
    bf supper.jpg