Thread: Pens on a budget.

Pens on a budget.

Did these yesterday and it threw up some queries about what tools I use or are needed.

So I put this little set of pictures together to show how much money I have invested in them, tools that is, the mandrel is home made as well.
    Chas. just a traveller on the road of time.

Bits & Pieces Gallery
    My Web Site

Very neat Chas, you blank holding rig for drilling is very much like the one I made a while back!

I also made my own pen press.

One thing I'll add to your tips and tricks, I put a mark, with a felt pen, on the inside of the pen blank, on the brass tube, to keep the blank orientation in line for when they come off the lathe. You just look inside the tubes and see the pen marks, makes it much easier to line up the grain, on some pens.

Great post!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    .....I put a mark, with a felt pen, on the inside of the pen blank, on the brass tube, to keep the blank orientation in line for when they come off the lathe. You just look inside the tubes and see the pen marks, makes it much easier to line up the grain, on some pens.....
    Thanks for that Stuart, will add it to the sheet, in 12months time when someone else new joins in this fetish for making pens it might help and I will have forgotten.

Bits & Pieces Gallery
    My Web Site

Good series of pics, Chas. (Nice pens, too.) Thanks for taking the time to put it all together.

I like Graham's tip -- "Cut a 6mm slice from an old potato..." -- but I don't think I can buy metric potatoes around here.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    Good series of pics, Chas. (Nice pens, too.) Thanks for taking the time to put it all together.

I like Graham's tip -- "Cut a 6mm slice from an old potato..." -- but I don't think I can buy metric potatoes around here.
    You guys can put a man on the moon but can't grow metric spuds... maybe it's time to add Euroland to the list of states
    Graham

oldsoke

Caveat: Whatever you do, always operate within your own expertise and competency. For your own health and safety you should not take action on any advice, expressed or implied, without verifying the validity any such advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    I like Graham's tip -- "Cut a 6mm slice from an old potato..." -- but I don't think I can buy metric potatoes around
    That's OK Vaughn, I've done some checks & you'll be alright with your imperial potatoes, just about any TUBE-r will do

Bits & Pieces Gallery
    My Web Site

Great looking pens Chas. I also like the pictures. Shows what a person can do. Well done.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

The dark one the result of the pen making walk through above and the Ash one to try out the stepped bushing set. I think Grahams warning about overheating is most applicable to pieces turned on stepped bushing or cones as some kits use as there is no mandrel heat sink in contact with the major part of the tube.

_________ _______ click on image for larger view
    ___________Dark Beech & Figured Ash

Bits & Pieces Gallery
    My Web Site