Pens on a budget.

Chas Jones

Did these yesterday and it threw up some queries about what tools I use or are needed.
DSC02550.JPG

So I put this little set of pictures together to show how much money I have invested in them, tools that is, the mandrel is home made as well.

Very neat Chas, you blank holding rig for drilling is very much like the one I made a while back!

I also made my own pen press.

One thing I'll add to your tips and tricks, I put a mark, with a felt pen, on the inside of the pen blank, on the brass tube, to keep the blank orientation in line for when they come off the lathe. You just look inside the tubes and see the pen marks, makes it much easier to line up the grain, on some pens.

Great post! :thumb:

.....I put a mark, with a felt pen, on the inside of the pen blank, on the brass tube, to keep the blank orientation in line for when they come off the lathe. You just look inside the tubes and see the pen marks, makes it much easier to line up the grain, on some pens.....

Thanks for that Stuart, will add it to the sheet, in 12months time when someone else new joins in this fetish for making pens it might help and I will have forgotten.:doh:

Good series of pics, Chas. (Nice pens, too.) Thanks for taking the time to put it all together.

I like Graham's tip -- "Cut a 6mm slice from an old potato..." -- but I don't think I can buy metric potatoes around here. :p

Good series of pics, Chas. (Nice pens, too.) Thanks for taking the time to put it all together.

I like Graham's tip -- "Cut a 6mm slice from an old potato..." -- but I don't think I can buy metric potatoes around here. :p

You guys can put a man on the moon but can't grow metric spuds... maybe it's time to add Euroland to the list of states:eek:

The dark one the result of the pen making walk through above and the Ash one to try out the stepped bushing set. I think Grahams warning about overheating is most applicable to pieces turned on stepped bushing or cones as some kits use as there is no mandrel heat sink in contact with the major part of the tube.

_________ _______ click on image for larger view
___________Dark Beech & Figured Ash