Job photos

John Dow

Former Member (at his request)
Got a few fun photos from work last week on my new (old) job. We had a nice calm day so there was no reason to put off replacing the roof door seals on the telescope building.
View attachment 13810
This is Bob and Steve starting at the far end. We've got one of the doors open a little so they can get at the seal that's screwed to the edge.
View attachment 13811
Steve smiles for the camera
View attachment 13812
Bob is kind of in charge, but Steve and I don't let it go to his head :rofl:
View attachment 13813
Here I am on the access ladder. I wasn't allowed on to the roof, having not had "fall arrest" training. Can't say as I mind, but it did mea I had to run up and down the 5 flights of stairs for any tools we forgot to bring up at the start.
View attachment 13814
Two pairs of feet sticking down through the roof. Kinda sureal.

Last edited:
Great pics, John. I don't like heights, so even with the training, I don't think I'd like working up there. I agree with Stu about the view, though. That's what blue skies really look like.

I agree with Stu about the view, though. That's what blue skies really look like.

Me too, Vaughn. The NM blue skies were what LOML missed the most when we lived in Virginia. We even asked his mother to send us some NM sky one time!!

Gorgeous pictures, John. We gotta make a trip to Cloudcroft!!!

Nancy (57 days)

Gorgeous pictures, John. We gotta make a trip to Cloudcroft!!!

My telescope is actually over in Arizona, near Safford. Given the distance Cloudcroft is a more logical guess though :thumb:

Its about a 7 hour drive over to do a 7 day shift, then a 7 hour drive back with 7 days off - whole lotta 7's there. So it averages out to be similar to a lot of city dwellers commutes :D

Great pics. But I have to ask "fall arrest" training ?
Not much to it you fall the harness arrests you, about the only thing to remember is to hook it to something secure.

I had to wear one when I worked on high reach equipment. as I remember it was "here where this" :rolleyes: I miss those days

Great pics. But I have to ask "fall arrest" training ?
Not much to it you fall the harness arrests you, about the only thing to remember is to hook it to something secure.

I had to wear one when I worked on high reach equipment. as I remember it was "here where this" :rolleyes: I miss those days

Oh, man, don't get me started! I've little doubt it'll end up being a bunch of common sense stuff, like "make sure the harness is tight enough so you don't fall out" The downside of a cushy job :rofl: