Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bam! Whir! Sorry, Sir!

ABQ NM

Bam! Whir! Sorry, Sir!

This one was an adventure in turning. It started out planned to be a long-necked vase (spalted alder, once again), so I decided to try hollowing it from the bottom. As things developed I decided I wanted a bit wider and shorter neck, so I ended up with this. (In hindsight, considering the shape it ended up being, I could have hollowed it from the top.):

Attachment 13841 Attachment 13842

I wasn't happy with the finish, so it was back to the shop for some more sanding and lacquer. I was buffing out the new lacquer on the tripoli wheel last night, and this happened:

Attachment 13843

Yep...I caught it wrong and spit it out into the lathe bed and out the back. Bad words were said. The only way I had to remount the piece with with the donut chuck. I have several different sizes of rings, and two sets of holes on my faceplate. This piece was too small for my smallest big ring, and too big for my largest small ring, so I doubled them up like this:

Attachment 13844

And reworked the neck like this:

Attachment 13845

A bit more Antique Oil and lacquer, and the end result was this:

Attachment 13846 Attachment 13847

It's about 6 1/4" wide by 5" tall. There are a couple of dings in the side from the lathe bed, but they're hard to see and deep enough that I decided to leave them as-is, since sanding them out would have made it lop-sided. I also tried to get as much curve into the new neck as possible, but I didn't have a lot of wood to work with, since the walls were already pretty thin at the neck.

Not really what I had in mind, but I figure it's better than nothing.

Let the finger pointing and giggling commence.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

Tokyo Japan
    VERY nice save!

How long did it take you to get it centered up in the donut chuck?

I'm going to say that I actually like the save piece better than the unbroken piece.

Nice stuff for sure!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Mason Michigan
    Some missions are tougher than others. I like the final product and you didn't get bonked in the head!

Mooreland, Indiana
    Great save! I have 2 of those I've been trying to figure out how to remount so I can rework them for various reasons. Great looking hollow form.

Maker of Fine Lathe Tools & Accessories.

Charlotte, NC
    Sometimes you have to let the wood be what it wants to be!

Good save and great looking vase!

Very nice save Vaughn! If you hadn't shown the first version we never would have known. Oh, and my vote for the understatement of the year - "Bad words were said."

Beautiful piece,

DSM, IA
    Great save Vaughn. I think I would have said some "bad words" too!
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Goodland, Kansas
    Great save Vaughn. Don't ya just hate it when bad words have to be said.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Fort Worth, Texas
    Great save, Vaughn! Like I've said before... you can't say you've had the full Beall experience without at least one launch under your belt.

I like the final form best anyway.

Isn't woodturning wonderful? It even allows us to add to our vocabulary!
    I may be lost but I'm making good time!
    Three Seasons Woodturnings

Harvey, Michigan
    Vaughn - have to tell ya - I like the final version better! Beautiful wood and I really do like the form! Nice work!