This one was an adventure in turning. It started out planned to be a long-necked vase (spalted alder, once again), so I decided to try hollowing it from the bottom. As things developed I decided I wanted a bit wider and shorter neck, so I ended up with this. (In hindsight, considering the shape it ended up being, I could have hollowed it from the top.):
Attachment 13841 Attachment 13842
I wasn't happy with the finish, so it was back to the shop for some more sanding and lacquer. I was buffing out the new lacquer on the tripoli wheel last night, and this happened:
Yep...I caught it wrong and spit it out into the lathe bed and out the back. Bad words were said. The only way I had to remount the piece with with the donut chuck. I have several different sizes of rings, and two sets of holes on my faceplate. This piece was too small for my smallest big ring, and too big for my largest small ring, so I doubled them up like this:
And reworked the neck like this:
A bit more Antique Oil and lacquer, and the end result was this:
Attachment 13846 Attachment 13847
It's about 6 1/4" wide by 5" tall. There are a couple of dings in the side from the lathe bed, but they're hard to see and deep enough that I decided to leave them as-is, since sanding them out would have made it lop-sided. I also tried to get as much curve into the new neck as possible, but I didn't have a lot of wood to work with, since the walls were already pretty thin at the neck.
Not really what I had in mind, but I figure it's better than nothing.
Let the finger pointing and giggling commence.