wood score, was hmmmm

Ned Bulken

DSC07187.jpg

wonder if this is still there

Last edited:
I was in 'stealth' mode, and the car was a couple of blocks away. Yes I could have gone back, but I was pressed for time. I'll be in the neighborhood again tomorrow, we'll see if syracuse's DPW crew has picked it up yet.

DSC07186.jpg

and though it might not look it, that neighborhood is not the nicest one I've visited... so I'm not going to make a midnight run

Last edited:
WHEw
DSC07265.jpg

My back sure wishes the DPW had made its rounds already... but I am now the proud scrounger of two of those chunks of Willow. Judging by the leaves, and the branches in the pile, that's what it looks like.

Funny thing, they didn't look that big on the curb, but I could only fit two of the three hunks in the car. I snagged the crotch and one of the other pieces. PHotos soon, I'm uploading as I type this.
DSC07264.jpg

I think I'll go pick up some oops paint on the way home so I can seal the ends.

Is this like some sort of pledging prank... the newbie turner has to go forage for turning stock as part of his initiation?

Last edited:
Good score....I didn't think you had a lathe yet Ned?:huh: Did I miss a gloat, or are you just preparing for the future?

Good score....I didn't think you had a lathe yet Ned?:huh: Did I miss a gloat, or are you just preparing for the future?

Hi my name is Ned and I'm a wood Hoarder...

-crowd- *Hi ned*

No lathe as yet, but Mark has one, and he has graciously let me start turning on his, so could't pass these up.. And It is #2 on my tool aquisition list... right after a jointer, and Just before a bandsaw.

Ned, forget about the jointer....once you spend more time on Mark's lathe you won't ever need it! You know you have already given into the vortex...you already are looking at logs differently. Watch out for the slippery slope!:p

Got the two logs out of the car and into the back of my pickup. They measure out at 19" Across for the straight chunk, and 24" Long, and 25" across the crotch piece, and 26" long. my stepson graciously helped me heft them out of the prius. He was bravely going to move them solo, but I wouldn't let him. I carefully tumbled them into the car, so I knew that dead lifting them was out of the question.

I believe they're black ash, judging by a friend's bark and leaf ID on WWA.

Now THAT'S the Ned I know. :thumb: Congrats on the mini-haul. That crotch piece has good potential for looking very cool inside.