Experimenting

Dave Richards

im1193601570.jpg

Nope and it's not the dogs playing poker or a velvet Elvis either. :rofl:

im1193616832png.jpg

This is from another free rendering program. I'm considering writing something up on how to use it.

I like how realistic these are looking ...

I take it your light source is somewhere in the center? The shadow directions all seem to come from a light in the middle area, i think.

The pictures are getting less and less grainy each time - do these take awhile to render?

Jason, there are actually three lights in this image. One lighting the Maxfield Parrish painting on the wall over the viewer's left shoulder and two straight above the front cabinets. the one on the left is smaller than the one on the right. those two lights account for the overlapping shadows that you can see below the low cabinet on the left and the Thorsen side table on the right.

I did a little modification to the floor and the Thorsen table. You can see reflections of the I-beam columns now. You can also see a reflection of the painting on the floor reflected in the glass.

The first image "cooked" for about 15 minutes. the second one for about 2 hours and the third for 10 hours and 43 minutes plus a few seconds. The longer the rendering runs the less grainy the image. I let the last one go all day while I was away at work. It didn't need to go quite that long but I wasn't around to stop it earlier and it didn't hurt anything to let it go.

These images were done with a free program called Indigo Renderer. As with Kerkythea, there is an exporter plugin (Skindigo, in this case) that you load into SketchUp. It iincludes some light components that you can add to your model. You can make material settings as desired and some other settings. Then you export the file to Indigo and tell it to run. That's really all there is to it.

I don't quite understand all the settings related to the materials characteristics but there's good info on the Indigo website and there's a number of folks willing to help out there.

I'm sure this rendering thing isn't for everyone. It probably won't be much help if all you need is to get out some drawings to take to the shop. On the other hand, this kind of rendering stuff might be what some clients find tips the scale in favor of you over your competitor. If you can give them a realistic representation of what their dining room table will look like especially in the context of their dining room, it might just seal the deal.

indigo is a unbiased render engine like fry render (which I use ) post a screenie of the material editor and I can probably tell you what does what mate