What do you pay for Hard Maple.....??

Stuart Ablett

Actually I'm sort of afraid to ask, but ask I will.

I got this nice stack of Hard Maple.........

lots_of_maple.JPG

Most of it is about 6.6 cm thick (2.6") it was as thick as they had. The two long pieces are 2.7 meters long (106").

What did I pay......??

About $9.35 US per board foot....... not cheap eh?
That stack there on the table is worth about $370 US :eek:

Oh yeah, the Hard Maple all comes from Canada too! :D

Remember, the walnut was really expensive, I paid $15.70 US a board foot for that stuff.

They did toss in a couple of nice 8cm square piece of beech and I got this NICE big chuck of Tamo (Japanese Ash) for about $15.........

big_ash_chunk.JPG

I've already cut up the two off cuts of Maple and turned a little snowman...........

maple_cut_up.JPG
....... boy does this Maple turn smooth, I'm going to like this stuff for sure!

Cheers!:wave:

Anywhere from about $8.00 to about $12.00 per board foot, depending on the figure and thickness. Thick stuff like you have would cost a premium price. Keep in mind, those are small quantity retail prices (Rockler or similar). Part of why I slowed down on making cutting boards was the fact that the materials alone for a 18" x 24" maple board cost north of $100.

For a while I was able to get plenty from work that was discarded bumper boards, but the last time I priced it out from my rough sawn supplier it was in the $2.50-$2.75 range. Dense curly was only $4 :thumb:

Maple grows like dandelions around here...hard to image paying big bucks for it.

Project cost: glue and screws, poly, sandpaper, pegs...:p
000_0656.jpg 000_0694.jpg

OK nice to know that you guys pay premium for the thick stuff too.

For 8/4 or 9/4 stock what would you be paying?

I'd pay a fair bit less for 4/4 or even 5/4 but for me, in the turnings I'm wanting to do, that is too thin.

Just curious is all, I know I'm going to pay a LOT more for it but I was just wondering HOW much more :D

I have entertained the idea of getting together a few guys here, and importing a short container of hardwood........ so it would really depend on what prices I'd pay for the wood over there, as the shipping for a short container from the West coast of North America to Japan is about $700...... :dunno:

Cheers! :wave:

Thanks Frank, so I'm only about 30% more than you are, not too bad, considering where I am, and that the wood originated where you are......... :D :wave:

Cheers!

i can check current pricing in an hour or so stu? i`m guessin` 4-5$ for fat wood here in the sticks....delivered to my door.

OK, so I'm ONLY paying DOUBLE what you are Tod :D

At least I can get the best sushi in the world cheap here............ not that you would likely want any of that..... :D

Cheers!

Thanks Frank, so I'm only about 30% more than you are, not too bad, considering where I am, and that the wood originated where you are......... :D :wave:

Cheers!
Stu, you will feel even better about it when I tell you that the price I gave you was after a lot of checking for a reliable low cost source on my part. The price listed at other suppliers is more. For example at Century Mill Lumber north of Toronto (a place I use for other wood) the price of 8/4 maple is $8.35 a board foot.

For nice clean hard maple, my local supplier charges $5.50bft for 4/4 and $7.00 for 8/4. I think it is funny that maple is so high around here as you cant walk 20 feet in any direction without seeing a maple tree. Then oak which is getting hard to find goes for about $2 bft.:dunno: