39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Gloss

5 12.82%
  • Semi-gloss

28 71.79%
  • Other

6 15.38%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: White Shop Walls - Gloss or Semi-gloss?

White Shop Walls - Gloss or Semi-gloss?

Almost time to paint. Going with white. Those of you who have done this, did you go gloss or semi-gloss and do you wish you'd done the other?
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

My personal preference is paneling. White is great for brightening up the place but inevitably looks very dirty and worn due to dust, bumps, and abrasions. I save the white paint for the ceiling.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Almost time to paint. Going with white. Those of you who have done this, did you go gloss or semi-gloss and do you wish you'd done the other?
    I went with the semi - it cleans up as well as the gloss without the shinny, show every defect finish. I would recommend going with a super white if you're looking for reflectivity. It really makes a difference. Many manufacturers will print a reflectivity factor on the can. Get the highest number you can.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

The interior walls and ceilings of both my shops (one at home, one at our camp) are painted with white gloss in order to get as much reflected light as possible. I have found the walls do not get dirty and that they are easy to maintain.
    Cheers, Frank

Glenn, gloss paint will sometimes put out a glare from lighting. And glare can affect your vision in adverse ways. Semi would be the way to go.

Nancy (53 days)
    Nancy Laird
    dandnspecialties@msn.com
    FWW Registered Voter and Voting Member
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!!

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to his country for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' If you love your country, thank a vet.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    do you wish you'd done the other?
    Had bunch paint left over (popcorn paint) never again
    holds the dust...............should have went and paid for the paint and did it right..................

WoodWorking, Crappie Fishing, Colts, Life is good!

I have found that semi-gloss paint is somewhat less reflective than gloss. Both tend to allow the sawdust to slide off easily which makes cleaning more likely. I used gloss on the ceiling areas where I have ceiling and semi-gloss everywhere else. Of course very little of my shop has ceiling or interior walls.
    I may be getting a little older physically but mentally I'm still tarp as a shack.

On the walls ABOVE the work tops of the lower cabinets I'm using semigloss white. From those work tops/benches (or whatever you want to call them) down, the walls on three sides are an exterior paneling and the other wall has drywall. On these lower walls I will use a LIGHT color semigloss, (color not picked yet) as I just wanted Some color in there, and most will be covered with lower cabinets and benches anyhow. The stationary tools are all out in the middle part of the shop. I may never get a REAL ceiling in there, but the roof has fiberglass insulation under the metal, with it's white vinyl moisture barrier showing to the inside of the bldg.

I went with Super Bright White semi-gloss, and would do it again. (Well, no...I hope I don't have to paint all those walls again...but you know what I mean...)

The semi-gloss lets dust slide off, provides plenty of reflectivity, but not the glare that the gloss would have.

Good luck painting...
    - Marty -
    Fivebraids, Inc.
    When you earnestly believe you can compensate for a lack of skill by doubling your efforts, there’s no end to what you can’t do…

big pink-n-purple flowers like on a microbus
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]