Searching for a nice looking bottom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug Jones

Recently got back into the shop from almost a year off. Been so long I almost forgot how to turn. Anyhow, I am almost finished with a bowl that I'll be giving to a good friend of mine and I am looking for a bottom that is as presentable as the bowl itself will be. Not looking for fancy, just something that stands out a bit and has an appeal to the eye.
So how do you finish your bottoms? Is it random design, straight forward flat, concaved, or do you have a "trademark" design?
Thanks,,,

Hey Doug, welcome back to the vortex :D :wave:

It really depends, if you had a pic of the bowl in question, it would help.

I usually like a simple slight concave to the bottoms of my bowls, they usually sit better on the this, IMHO, but I've also seen a lot of guys do great things with a foot.

Sometimes, I'll add a few lines on the bottom, but usually not, as I sign, date and write the species of wood on the bottom.

Cheers!

You guys are a riot! Of course, being as pure as the wind driven snow I never thought such a thing...
slider_whistling.gif

(Well... other than thinking "aren't we all?")

I agree with Stu... it depends on the shape of the bowl. Some forms look great with a foot, some don't. Most utility bowls have better stability with a nice wide tenon-style foot.

I prefer to remove the foot on small pieces (HF's, etc) when possible and just leave a simple recessed ring.

IMG_4148.jpg

I agree with the others Doug. It depends on the bowl. On my NE's I like to put a foot. On utility type bowls most I will concave the bottom and on small things I like concave.

Thanks all,

I took into consideration about the shape of the bowl and did a yahoo image search. I think I found something that will work quite well.
A basic shaped bowl with a foot at about 4" across and 3/16" thick. I believe I'll just come in about 3/4" and do a square inward cut about 1/8" deep.

off topic posts from this thread have been moved here.

[edit] if we get a majority vote to unlock this thread it will be reopened for discussion. sorry for any inconvenience.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.