Manzanita burl HF

OK, so I'm a glutton for punishment. Or I let enough time pass from the last time to forget how much "fun" this stuff is to turn. :rolleyes: Hacked and beaten into submission at 5 1/2" diameter by 7" tall. Buffed Antique oil finish.

TS456.jpg

TS456c.jpg

TS456d.jpg

Absolutely beautiful Travis! The wood is simply amazing with the color and all the cracks. Love the form - to me it is perfect! Well done and thanks for once again showing me what a hollow form is all about! I'll get there!

Awesome piece, Travis. Your treatment always matches the wood so well. You really have a great eye for shape.

I'm interested in your process for finishing...what grit do you sand to, how many coats of AO, anything special you do? Your finishes are always perfect and really enhance the great job of turning you do.

Wow, that is something Travis, I can imagine what a bear it would be to turn.

When you get a cracked piece like this, do you just turn it and hope, or are there some special procedures you go through that might help the piece making it to this stage?

Cheers!

Gorgeous piece, Travis. Another textbook "Stinson" piece. You just don't miss, do you? :D
...or are there some special procedures you go through that might help the piece making it to this stage?...
The "no religion" rule in the CoC probably doesn't allow him to go into details on that. :p

The only time the cracks were an issue was when buffing. :bang:. This wood is incredibly tough, so I wasn't too worried about it coming apart. I did use my steady rest while hollowing to keep the vibration down, just to be safe. I recommend that everyone turn at least one piece from Manzanita. ;)
Cody, I powersand to 800 grit and usually use 2 coats of the oil, then buff when cured.

OK, so I'm a glutton for punishment. Or I let enough time pass from the last time to forget how much "fun" this stuff is to turn. :rolleyes: Hacked and beaten into submission at 5 1/2" diameter by 7" tall. Buffed Antique oil finish.

Very nice Travis. I have a chunk of this stuff that has been sitting and drying for almost two years since I got it. Every time I look at it I think, maybe I'll turn a nice soft piece of locust or something. :p I've never turned any manzanita any bigger than a pen blank. Thanks for the encouragement, although I am not sure how I mean that. :rolleyes:

Bill

Travis,
I like all of the cracks...it really makes it look spectacular rather than just fantastic! If it were me, I'd put a mouthpiece in and tough it out to achieve results like that.