Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much or how little

How much or how little

does it take to get into a used benchtop CNC router system?
    I知 not interested in the Carvewright/Sears machines.

At this point I知 not sure if I知 serious or notjust wundering.
    "I am enclosing two tickets to the first night of my new play; bring a
    friend...if you have one."
    --George Bernard Shaw to Winston Churchill

"Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second..if there is
    one."
    --Winston Churchill, in response

What are you looking to do with it Bruce? I suspect that your question is impossible to answer. The used market for CNC is more about big machines as far as I can see. Google "shopbot" who do a benchtop machine and , I think, have a used area on their site. How much will depend utterly on who wants to sell what at any given time and in a tiny market...

Otherwise, have you considered building your own? I am in the process of working out a design for a machine to fit my needs , which are not exactly benchtop but are also not well served by any commercial offering. Go to www.cnczone.com if you really want to get sucked into a vortex!

i`ve banged around on the site ian mentions for waaaay to many hours!
    what i`ve dertemined is either a kneemill or a full sized router is the way to go....the mid-ground stuff i`ve seen really doesn`t trip my trigger.
    a full sized table with vacuum holddowns and a cooled spindle will offer much more flexability than a router motor on low end linear slides..the problem comes with keeping one of those beasts fed....and for me learning the programing......stuff like used komos can be found for under 20k, and for my money i`d rather have used industrial than new hobby type equipment..
    what are you lookin` to do with a router bruce?
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

Thanks Ian & Tod. I知 probably just fantasying more than anything else. I was wondering if you could pick up a small bot for a few k. I don稚 want to go commercial just play. I値l dig a little deeper.

one."

If CNC routers are anything like most tools, a good used one will be ~ 50-60% of new. New ones tend to run $10-$30K.
    Got Wood?

I once owned a ShopBot, Bruce. Sold it when I moved from CA to AZ in '04. I did production runs of jigs I was selling. Lots of fun, very time consuming until it was productive. I just knew I would not have the necessary square footage where I was going.

But I poked around the cnczne site cited above and am sorely tempted to get back into it. But I simply do not have the time or space currently. Be forewarned, these things are very addictive! But tons of fun.

Also, even small bench top CNC's require considerable space. They really are not an 'against the wall' tool. And the periferals are space consumers as well. Hold down's, dust collection, computer, cutters, spindles, etc.

If you have the space, don't let any of this stop you. Have a ball!

bruce, here`s a knee mill that a friend of mine owns, he has a rotary table for his......it`ll cut whatever you want to put on it...wood, plastic, metal?
    http://www.fryermachine.com/toolroom/mb_q_series1.html

[edit] here`s a 5 axis wood router;
    http://www.komo.com/CNC%20Routers/komo_5_axis.htm
    and another;
    http://www.scmgroup-usa.com/online_d...features2.html
    Last edited by tod evans; 11-01-2007 at 11:12 AM.
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    Thanks Ian & Tod. I知 probably just fantasying more than anything else. I was wondering if you could pick up a small bot for a few k. I don稚 want to go commercial just play. I値l dig a little deeper.
    I am sure that you can Bruce if you wait long enough and look hard enough. Truth is that there are a lot of folks looking for exactly what you are looking for and much smaller number selling. CNC tends to be a business purchase and the time that they get sold is when folks either go out of business or move up to bigger things. Not many people just lose interest. I have been looking for about two years for a machine that closer matches my needs but on the very few occassions that I have found one they then sell for near new prices.

Quote Originally Posted by scott spencer View Post
    If CNC routers are anything like most tools, a good used one will be ~ 50-60% of new. New ones tend to run $10-$30K.
    Scott - the ones I have looked at which are sold commercially start at 10-30K and go a very long way up from there - like 10-15 times more. Cheaper used machines tend to be a generation or two old in functionality which may be fun to overcome but you have to be ready to hand roll the control code in some instances. Not my taste.

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    bruce, here`s a knee mill that a friend of mine owns, he has a rotary table for his......it`ll cut whatever you want to put on it...wood, plastic, metal?
    http://www.fryermachine.com/toolroom/mb_q_series1.html

[edit] here`s a 5 axis wood router;
    http://www.komo.com/CNC%20Routers/komo_5_axis.htm
    and another;
    http://www.scmgroup-usa.com/online_d...features2.html
    Thanks Tod but those are a little rich for me. Someday, I’d like to replace my conventional knee mill with a CNC. Maybe I should start saving my pennies now.

one."

Don't know if it will fit your needs, but, unless it sold recently, I know where there is a 4-head carver for sale. This is NOT the wimpy 200 model that I have and loathe. These are the heavy duty professional models.
    http://www.terrco.com/northstar.php
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire