Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: where to get.....

where to get.....

Where can I get old fashioned square headed nails? I thought VanDyke's carried them but the catalog only shows decorative upholstery tacks, no real nails.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Looking forward to the response..............
    Got a hand full rusted ones from a barn, that I suppose to build a cabinet for the lady

WoodWorking, Crappie Fishing, Colts, Life is good!

Frank, the first place to look for any hardware is Lee Velley.

Check http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...=3,41306,41324 for the nails you want. But, the longest they have are 2 inch nails and you might consider them to be tacks.
    Last edited by Frank Pellow; 10-31-2007 at 06:19 PM.
    Cheers, Frank

Thanks. Exactly what I was looking for.

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

frank, call powells and ask for "cut nails" they just might have `em?
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    frank, call powells and ask for "cut nails" they just might have `em?
    That's too simple. Color me

Hey guys, be careful what you order. There are 2 types of old nails floating around out there and there is a huge difference.

In my shop I got about 10 pounds of "cut nails" thanks to my late-Grandfather, but they are only flat sided STAMPED nails from a modern plant. They really lack and authentic look to them.

Real old fashioned nails are a lot harder to find as they are forged and look really authentic. I have a coffee mug tree made out of the real old fashioned kind and it looks good with the varying shanks holding onto the mugs handles. There is no way I would make something like that out of those 10 pounds of cut nails I have. Two different things altogether.

That being said, the cut nails are great for floors and other things that give you the look of hand forged NAIL HEADS, but do not have the actual shanks of the nails showing. I am just saying be careful in buying those nails. There really are two different types out there.
    I have no intention of traveling from birth to the grave in a manicured and well preserved body; but rather I will skid in sideways, totally beat up, completely worn out, utterly exhausted and jump off my tractor and loudly yell, "Wow, this is what it took to feed a nation!"

Would it be ridiculously expensive to commission some from a local blacksmith? Would make a good apprentice project.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kosmowski View Post
    Would it be ridiculously expensive to commission some from a local blacksmith? Would make a good apprentice project.
    Sounds good in theory Mark; but how many of us have local blacksmiths?
    Cheers, Frank

Actually, I have a box full of some square nails I bought years ago from a farm supply store. They might be horseshoe nails. They look stamped, are ridiculously soft and won't rust. I have tried metal blueing chemicals, rusting solutions, leaving outside, etc. They just won't take an 'olde timey' patina. I'm sure they aren't stainless steel but doesn't matter. They are wuthless for what I want.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails nail.jpg