Randy's New Hollower

Yea Vaughn Randy makes one of those after we buy the other one!!!!:rofl::rofl:

Of course I wouldn't trade my other one either. Looks good Randy. How does the ease of turning compare to the monster?

Bernie, Vaughn,

It operates about the same, but the new one takes up half the space and if you need to do a manual touch up, you can swing it out of the way . Plus you're not moving the rear captive bars as much to get at all the angles you need. With the advent of the 6 bearings, it is really smooth to operate. The one in the picture is sold; to one of the members here. I'll let him tell you if he wants. I've been working on this design for a long time and it really feels good when a plan comes together. :D Thanks for the kind words.

I'd love to see a pic of the product.
I've been on the fence for some time now about a hollowing rig and Randy's setup still is the front runner.

Last edited:
I'd love to see a pic of the product.

From the link in the first post of this thread:

attachment.php

From the link in the first post of this thread:

attachment.php

I can't wait to try this out (yes, this will be sent to OHIO) The plan is to try a "cat in the hat" a very tall top hat. The problem with a large deep turning is it's tough to control the tool with one hand inside when the swing is limited with the other hand.

The plan is to rough out the inside with a standard bowl gouge and finish with this hollowing system. The tool rest will be inside the hat to support this system. I'll start with a 12 in deep hat to start and push it to the limit hopefully around 16 inches. I know Randy... I'll be safe and stay away from some lathe stopping catches. The hat still has to be wearable so a weight limit of 9-10 oz's is the max. Can it be done... I don't know but it would be too good to wear that out in public... there wouldn't be a straight face in sight. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Randy has the best hollowing systems on the market and this is the next generation. Cool! Thank you for all the time and trouble to design a system that will work.

Now to find a log that's big enough.

Oh NO, I was out today looking for some wood, saw a huge log that would be perfect. As I got closer... it was willow ;(