How Come NO GLOATS????

Norman Hitt

I'm really surprised that I haven't seen many/any recent gloats or user reports on that 3 1/4 hp Freud Plunge router that everyone seems to have for sale for $ 129.99.:huh: Didn't any of you guys/gals buy one of these,....sure seems like a good price, with variable speed, above table bit changing, covered plunge shafts, etc.:dunno:

I sure would like to see what some "Users" think of that router, so come on, if you got one, "Fess Up" and tell us what you think of it, is it any good, .....or not???:D

Edit: OOoops......guess I looked at the wrong pictures, as this model doesn't have the above table bit change or depth adjustment. Oh well.......... (gotta get these glasses changed)

Last edited:
Hi Norman, I've got one of these and I love it. Variable speed, soft start and tons of power. Mine is mounted in a table. This router is a very capable workhorse. Panel raising, rail and style etc. etc. all day long. The depth adjustment is very precise on this router, easy to get at too. It has a shaft lock so you only need one wrench for bit changes. (It only takes a second to pop the router plate out of the table with the router attached to do whatever bit changes you require if you can't do it when it's still in the table.) The next model up FT3000 has the ability to be raised by a hex handle through the plate like a "Router Raiser" etc. but I really don't mind reaching under and turning the easy to get at knob.

This router was on sale @ Woodcraft till Oct.31/07 for $129.99 plus free shipping. I would have jumped on it in a heart beat if I didn't already own one... My next router purchase will most likely be a Bosch Colt to complement my router table setup.

If Hartville still has the deal going in a couple weeks I just might be pulling the trigger, but right now am still recovering from a week off (without pay) due to a sinus infection.

Having said this, I'll probably have the cash the day after their sale ends. :huh:

Jim, let's suppose that I were to get one of these Freud FT2200E routers. Suppose also that I wanted to get a router table (top) with a nice mounting plate. Would I need to get a plate with a mounting hole pattern compatible with Porter Cable? Bosch? DeWalt? Craftsman?

Does Freud have their OWN "standard"...?

Jim, let's suppose that I were to get one of these Freud FT2200E routers. Suppose also that I wanted to get a router table (top) with a nice mounting plate. Would I need to get a plate with a mounting hole pattern compatible with Porter Cable? Bosch? DeWalt? Craftsman?

Does Freud have their OWN "standard"...?

Woodpecker mates with the FT2000, I'm sure others do the Freud pattern as well. Rockler is usually behind the curve on this although they do the 1700 for sure. Freud of course, makes their own for their table.

The next model up FT3000 has the ability to be raised by a hex handle through the plate like a "Router Raiser" etc. but I really don't mind reaching under and turning the easy to get at knob.

I agree with the statement about not minding reaching under the table to adjust the height. I have the Milwaukee 5625 with the above the table adjustment and I seldom use it.

Based on the fine recommendation from Jim, I sprung for one yesterday. haven't had a chance to pull it out of the box yet. It sounds like for the price I can't go wrong though!

Kerry, there is a pattern provided with the router to drill your holes.

Hi Kerry sorry for the delayed response...

Yes I agree with Glenn, the Freud mounting pattern is a fairly common one...
However when I was shopping for parts I picked up a Freud phenolic mounting plate @ HD as it was just handy at the time. It appears to be identical to the Rousseau mounting plate. As Ed said it comes with a pattern as well.

Ed, hope you enjoy the router :thumb:
That's an excellent price, I paid $300.00 for mine :eek:

You may hear around the web that the hole in the base plate is a wee bit on the small side, however the collet is one of the longest available and it's recommended to use a router table for bits over 1 1/2" anyways.
The variable speed is precise and comes in handy for the larger bits.

Like I said I would buy another one in a heartbeat but since I've already built my router table (have to post some pics one day soon) my sights are set on a Bosch Colt for hand held duties. I've seen some deals on these around the web as well. Maybe if I'm really good Santa might consider... ahh well I'll write that letter to her, hmm I meant "him" ;)