Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Very Old Iron

Very Old Iron

As promised here are a few more pictures of two old machines still in service.

The thicknesser is an old English Sagar, and although I didn't see a makers mark on the aircraft carrier... er ..I mean jointer I did some online research and it appears to be an old Robinson. I have been able to date these two machines to around 1910 to 1920's era.

There isn't a lot of info on these old machines but what I found was very interesting.

This site is really worth some time looking at. http://titaniumstudios.com/tooljunki...ers/sagar.html

Anywhos heres a few piccies.

In the first two photos is the thicknesser. Note the long drive belts and the half buried motor. Originally this machine was fitted with a fabric belt pulley and has been retro fitted with an electric motor.

The next three photos are of the aircraft carrier Note the top is used as an auxillary table as well :P

In the fourth picture you can see the cutter head. You could be forgiven for thinking that this item would have been very heavy and need a lot of power to drive it. In fact it is so well mounted that you can turn the cutter head with your little finger, it almost feels frictionless the bearings are so good on both the motor and machine.

The last is a shot across the top of these machines to the other major machines that are in use. Typical joiners shop, full of Round Toits, but I doubt Dave will ever get around to it
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF0073 (Medium).jpg   DSCF0074 (Medium).jpg   DSCF0075 (Medium).jpg   DSCF0076 (Medium).jpg   DSCF0077 (Medium).jpg  

DSCF0078 (Medium).jpg   DSCF0079 (Medium).jpg  
    Err ... Me, make a mistake .. Never
    http://akiwiretrospective.blogspot.com/

love the worked in shop! thanks ralph.
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

Robinson was a pretty well known maker of woodworking tools back in the day. I think they were best known for making sawmills...the old rotary kind with 52 inch blades anyway. I could be wrong on that, but I think my neighbor had an old Robinson 1901 sawmill.
    I have no intention of traveling from birth to the grave in a manicured and well preserved body; but rather I will skid in sideways, totally beat up, completely worn out, utterly exhausted and jump off my tractor and loudly yell, "Wow, this is what it took to feed a nation!"

Ralph,
    Thanks for posting the pictures. I am a big fan of Robinson, Sagar, and Wadkin. I own a Robinson sliding table saw. It's extremely well built and a pleasure to use. I especially like the rack & pinion fence. It fits into a dovetailed slot on the table. This is much nicer than the pin mounting you find on the American manufacturers. The fence always locks square, and will not come loose under any circumstances.

I recently purchased the Sagar Bursgreen saw pictured below. I haven't had a chance to fire it up yet, but it is very well built. I'm looking forward to getting better acquainted wit this saw.
    AF
    Somerset, New Jersey
    http://www.owwm.net

Just out of curiosity how much does a machine like that cost if its in good condition?

Ralph,
    There prices on these saws vary widely. I've seen them sell as high as $4k, and as low as a few hundred dollars for the sliders. It's all about being there when the prices go soft. I paid $450 for the Robinson, and $250 for the Sagar. The Sagar included the Holz feeder in the picture. Normally, the feeder would bring a minimum of $300 by it'self. For some reason, nobody cared to bid on it. If I remember correctly, I ended up winning it with my opening bid. The Robinson was located in a remote area in Missouri. Prices at that sale were generally depressed. It sold right in line with other items in the auction.
    AF
    Somerset, New Jersey
    http://www.owwm.net

Nice win at those prices. Makes a trip well worth the while if you get a bargain to bring home.

Arthur,

If you don't mind, how much do each of those saws weigh? Look like they are extremely stout. Did you rent a truck and bring them home or hire someone to haul them for you? I know how heavy my TS was to transport and I'm sure since mine is a recent saw (sawstop) it wouldn't come close to the cast iron in yours.

Thanks,
    Lee Laird
    Austin TX

ATTN: Mods.
    Are guys wearing white shirts and ties allowed here? Seems sacreligious.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

"Are guys wearing white shirts and ties allowed here?"

Now, now, Frank... be careful

It turns out not everything got deleted! There's still a picture up on the arsbn site of some guy in a coat and tie!

In other words, I've got a jpeg, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Thanks,

Bill