Very Old Iron

As promised here are a few more pictures of two old machines still in service.

The thicknesser is an old English Sagar, and although I didn't see a makers mark on the aircraft carrier... er ..I mean jointer I did some online research and it appears to be an old Robinson. I have been able to date these two machines to around 1910 to 1920's era.

There isn't a lot of info on these old machines but what I found was very interesting.

This site is really worth some time looking at. http://titaniumstudios.com/tooljunkie/manufacturers/sagar.html

Anywhos heres a few piccies.

In the first two photos is the thicknesser. Note the long drive belts and the half buried motor. Originally this machine was fitted with a fabric belt pulley and has been retro fitted with an electric motor.

The next three photos are of the aircraft carrier :) Note the top is used as an auxillary table as well :p

In the fourth picture you can see the cutter head. You could be forgiven for thinking that this item would have been very heavy and need a lot of power to drive it. In fact it is so well mounted that you can turn the cutter head with your little finger, it almost feels frictionless the bearings are so good on both the motor and machine.

The last is a shot across the top of these machines to the other major machines that are in use. Typical joiners shop, full of Round Toits, but I doubt Dave will ever get around to it :)

Attachments

• DSCF0073 (Medium).jpg
    DSCF0073 (Medium).jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 103
  • DSCF0074 (Medium).jpg
    DSCF0074 (Medium).jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 161
  • DSCF0075 (Medium).jpg
    DSCF0075 (Medium).jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 132
  • DSCF0076 (Medium).jpg
    DSCF0076 (Medium).jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 127
  • DSCF0077 (Medium).jpg
    DSCF0077 (Medium).jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 111
  • DSCF0078 (Medium).jpg
    DSCF0078 (Medium).jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 86
  • DSCF0079 (Medium).jpg
    DSCF0079 (Medium).jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 147
Robinson was a pretty well known maker of woodworking tools back in the day. I think they were best known for making sawmills...the old rotary kind with 52 inch blades anyway. I could be wrong on that, but I think my neighbor had an old Robinson 1901 sawmill.

Ralph,
Thanks for posting the pictures. I am a big fan of Robinson, Sagar, and Wadkin. I own a Robinson sliding table saw. It's extremely well built and a pleasure to use. I especially like the rack & pinion fence. It fits into a dovetailed slot on the table. This is much nicer than the pin mounting you find on the American manufacturers. The fence always locks square, and will not come loose under any circumstances.
66738A.jpg

I recently purchased the Sagar Bursgreen saw pictured below. I haven't had a chance to fire it up yet, but it is very well built. I'm looking forward to getting better acquainted wit this saw.
75795A.jpg

Ralph,
There prices on these saws vary widely. I've seen them sell as high as $4k, and as low as a few hundred dollars for the sliders. It's all about being there when the prices go soft. I paid $450 for the Robinson, and $250 for the Sagar. The Sagar included the Holz feeder in the picture. Normally, the feeder would bring a minimum of $300 by it'self. For some reason, nobody cared to bid on it. If I remember correctly, I ended up winning it with my opening bid. The Robinson was located in a remote area in Missouri. Prices at that sale were generally depressed. It sold right in line with other items in the auction.

Arthur,

If you don't mind, how much do each of those saws weigh? Look like they are extremely stout. Did you rent a truck and bring them home or hire someone to haul them for you? I know how heavy my TS was to transport and I'm sure since mine is a recent saw (sawstop) it wouldn't come close to the cast iron in yours.

Thanks,

"Are guys wearing white shirts and ties allowed here?"

Now, now, Frank... be careful ;)

It turns out not everything got deleted! ;) There's still a picture up on the arsbn site of some guy in a coat and tie! ;)

In other words, I've got a jpeg, and I'm not afraid to use it! ;)

Thanks,

Bill

Frank, if you could look through your monitor to mine...you'd see a white shirt and tie, not by my choice though...yes there are still dress codes in place at some companies....:D

Arthur,

If you don't mind, how much do each of those saws weigh? Look like they are extremely stout. Did you rent a truck and bring them home or hire someone to haul them for you? I know how heavy my TS was to transport and I'm sure since mine is a recent saw (sawstop) it wouldn't come close to the cast iron in yours.

Thanks,

Lee,
The Robinson is pretty heavy at about a ton. The Sagar Bursgreen is much lighter at around 1000 Lbs. I typically move my own stuff. I try to bribe someone into loading it at the plant, then I have a Hyster at home for unloading. If I get something really big, my neighbor has a Lull I can borrow.

Art,

I think it's safe to say that you have about the largest assortment/collection of vintage table saws than anyone on the planet! :thumb:

You sure do have some nice saws.:)
Me, OTOH, am sitting here in my boxers and a t-shirt, having a bowl of cereal for breakfast...and it's after 1:00pm...all is a day work my friend, all in a day's work...:rofl:

Alan,
Long time no talk. I've been trying to pare back the collection a bit. I've been selling off the Olivers, the Tannewitz's, the Greenlees, and even the ASM's. I can't bring myself to part with the Wadkins, the Robinson, or the Whitney's. I currently have 30 Whitney Variety saws. They're split between 77's and 177's ( one of which is a 177 slider ).

A little background on the picture.... That was taken in August of 2001 at my desk on the 50th floor of the World Trade Center.

Alan,
The guy with the fence for the G89 never replied. However, I did locate another one. The guy that has it would probably part with it. If you're still looking, I'll get you his contact info.