Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Time to do some thumping

Time to do some thumping

Well it looks like I will be camping out tonight. Some low-life hoodlums decided to drive up into our fields and spin them all up with 4 x 4 picks ups doing doughnuts and whatnot. Its been raining here lately so the ruts are deep and they flung rocks and sod everywhere and in about 20 different spots. I am sure its not hunters but rather some young kids out raising Holy Ruckus. Still I'll be waiting to see if they come back.

This does not sound like a big deal but as deep as the ruts are that means either rotertilling the spots and reseeding with clover/grass/ alphalpha or land plowing it up. I am not happy in any case. That will cost a lot in diesel fuel money to do and says nothing about if their wild driving kicks up a rock that ends up going through the silage chopper. The last rock that did that cost 40,000 dollars. Those knives can handle tons of silage but a one pound rock does some serious damage.

These jerks have done this to three farms around here that I know of so it will be a race to see who gets to them first...the farmers or the cops (assuming some other farmers have called the cops that is). I don't rat on my neighbors but like to tend to matters myself. More personal that way. Anyway if the kids are lucky the cops and court will get to them first. If us farmers do...well it will be painful. Literally. Around here if someone messes with the farmers, the people are made examples of. Nothing personal really, I raised ruckus myself when I was a kid, but had to pay for it when I did it. They will one way or the other.

(I'll try and get pics later on today).
    I have no intention of traveling from birth to the grave in a manicured and well preserved body; but rather I will skid in sideways, totally beat up, completely worn out, utterly exhausted and jump off my tractor and loudly yell, "Wow, this is what it took to feed a nation!"

Thumbs up go getum tiger

no the feelun and wish i wer closer have dun just what your up to when iwas a tad yopunger the bad guys ended up inthe drainege ditch and then spent the night in jail till daddy got them out. they had ball bats and a 22 rifle in the back seat.
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

I agree. Better to take care of them yourself as our so called justice system is just about disfunctional any more. Hope that you get them before Hurricane Noel gets up there this weekend.

Travis, there is nothing more frustrating than the idiots that think all farmground is their playground, be it 4X4's, four wheelers, hunters, fishermen, etc... But please, please remember the times you are talking about spending with your children, well one rash decision and those idiots will own your farm! Be careful, document with pictures (of them in the act, ie: a buck cam) and first talk with parents, no satisfaction, contact the DA, go directly to the DA.

spike strips........4 flat tires take a while to get fixed, chances are the vehicle will be on your property in the morning just waiting for your assistance
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

I like Tod's idea...that way you don't have to do the "stakeout" either. I know it's getting cold up there at night now, right?
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    spike strips........4 flat tires take a while to get fixed, chances are the vehicle will be on your property in the morning just waiting for your assistance

tod....is this where sugar and the gas tank come into play?

nope, the helpfull tractor that pulls `em out..............by hooking to the centerlink
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bower View Post
    I like Tod's idea...that way you don't have to do the "stakeout" either. I know it's getting cold up there at night now, right?
    Naaa, its not too bad...averaging about 25 at night. With Noel coming though we do have high winds and heavy rains predicted for tomorrow, supposed to hit something like 55 mph winds tomorrow afternoon.

In all honesty the damage was not as bad as I thought it was. In full daylight the ruts were not as deep as I thought they were. I "plugged" the access roads to our fields with logs. The farmers are "spreading" (putting down manure) so they have to be able to move the logs if need be. Still if they had spread manure a few days ago those pranksters would not be playing in the field so gleefully.

I gotta say we do have some pretty good hunters on us. They called up right quick and told us what kind of car it was and what and where they were doing it. The hunters around here get a bad reputation, but 9 out of 10 of them are pretty good. They tend to keep an eye on the place because it keeps their favorite hunting grounds available. Plus they don't want to get blamed.

Right or wrong I did call the state police and let them know what was going on. I hate to rat on anyone but if the kids are doing more than one farm, it probably does not hurt to have the police know its occurring and if they see someone raising ruckus in a field they won't be so apt to let them off with a warning.

As for the Spike Strip...yeah I wish that would work, but as I said the farmers who rent (well supposed to rent...no rent money for going on 4 years now) well are suppose to rent my fields, need to spread their cow manure to fertilize the fields before their manure pile freezes. They would end up hitting the spikes and ruin some expensive truck and tractor tires. Around here a 100 dollar bill at the local teen hangout typically gets you the names in a matter of hours. Then its little field trip to see Johnny and have a little chat with him.
    I have no intention of traveling from birth to the grave in a manicured and well preserved body; but rather I will skid in sideways, totally beat up, completely worn out, utterly exhausted and jump off my tractor and loudly yell, "Wow, this is what it took to feed a nation!"

Behavior like that tends to escalate. One day they may decide to start burning barns or challenging people. I would notify the law and stay up with a rifle. Heavy damage to their truck would unlikely go unreported and they would learn a lesson. Sorry to hear it happened to you. Now, I'm reminded why I have four loaded firearms near at hand around the house at all times.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire