Time to do some thumping

When I was about 19, I went on a weekend backpacking jaunt, leaving my car parked innocently in what I thought was a safe spot. And with all the wisdom and judgment of a 19 year old, I was mistaken, it was blocking a wood road that the rangers used.

When I came back to the car, it had 2 tire valves unscrewed. One flat tire you can change. two gives you a problem. No violence, no damage, just a problem.

It was a good lesson, and I think with some fondness of the person who gave it to me.

Ken

A good buddy of mine, his grand parents lived way out of town and raised horses, they had a VERY large spread of land. The grand father was a fearless old guy, stormed the beaches of Normandy in WWII, so he said he had lived through hell on earth, there was nothing that really could scare him anymore.

Every summer, early in the year, they would have people come onto their property and camp out, really they were living there for the summer, mostly causing trouble in the nearby small towns, these people we called "Bikers" as they mostly road motorcycles, but my buddies grand dad just called them scum :D

He would chase them off, they would move it down the road to a different location, as I said, they had several hundred acres of land, most of the land up that valley was theirs. Well one summer a young local girl got raped, on his land. The scum beat it for a week or two, then were back, but this time he was not playing. He walked into their "Camp" one night with his army issue 45 on his belt and his 12 gauge pump shot gun (restricter removed, so it held a full tube of shells) in his hands. The first three shells were full of rock salt, and he was NOT shy in using them.

The story goes he walked into their camp and told them to get off his land, and NOT come back, someone told him to shut up or leave or something, he lowered the shotgun, and fired, and told them that the next two were rock salt as well, but after that, it was all buck shot.

They left and they never came back.

When seconds count, the police are minutes away.

In cases like this, the RCMP are not minutes, but most likely anywhere from half an hour to an hour away, his land, he had a right to protect it, and a right to say who can use it, if force was needed to back this up, then he had the force at hand and was not afraid to use it.

Things are very different living in the country compared to the city, I live in a city of 12 million now, a very clean and polite city, for the most part, but still a big city. We have cops around for sure, and violent crime is rare here, still, even the people in the countryside, here in Japan, deal with a very different set of problems in a very different way than us city folks. What would be totally unacceptable behavior to someone living in a subdivision in the city, may well be considered rational and normal out in the sticks.

All in all Travis, I hope that your problem just stops, I understand the need to protect your own, but, at the same time, I'd hate to see you get in hot water over this.

Be safe, use your head.

Cheers!

I think some of you have got the situation right, it truly is different here and we do take care of our own problems. In fact we had a problem with a few hunters a few years ago and the State Police (no Sheriff here) out and out told me this...

"Travis, are you guys going to take care of this, or do you want us to? You do know you guys would be better off taking care of this than us."

Around here the police know who is who. They dictate justice not only by use of the legal system as everyone knows it, but also by looking away at times. Its a case by case basis for sure. I don't consider that lawless, but rather cautious involvement by the law. Surprisingly it works the other way too.

A few years ago we had some people growing drugs on us...a lot of it. The police know who is who and never once questioned if it was us growing the drugs. My father-in-law (an out-of-stater) swore up and down that they would have arrested us and taken us to court if it was a true story. The thing is, in a suburb that may be true, but here they know you can't keep a very good eye on that much property. They asked me if they could set up survelience and catch the growers in the act and to "stay clear of the Davis place for a few days."

For those that think this system is crazy, let me ask you this? What is your crime rate? Waldo County has the lowest crime rate in Maine, and Maine has the lowest crime rate in the country. That means where I live has the lowest crime rate in the USA. Its like being in one big hockey game. A good fight is just fine as it clears the air and allows the game of hockey/life go on. As long as the referees/law allows it, its not vigilantism, its protection of property.

I think some of you have got the situation right, it truly is different here and we do take care of our own problems.

You are right. People that have never lived in that type of enviroment really have no concept of how things work in those areas. I grew up in the Northwest Texas Panhandle which is much as you describe. We had one sheriff for evey 900 square miles (approx.) and very poor comunications. The farms and ranches were very large and there was no option but to take care of your own property. A whole different world.

Last edited:
We may be straying into a political discussion here. Zap me if I'm overboard. But, history, tradition and the courts have long said that police duties are not necessarily to prevent crime but to investigate and arrest after the fact.

Travis,

If you can get close enough to their vehicles..... - Paint Balls! :D

No real harm done in that.... unless they freeze! :eek:

When seconds count, the police are minutes away.

In cases like this, the RCMP are not minutes, but most likely anywhere from half an hour to an hour away, his land, he had a right to protect it, and a right to say who can use it, if force was needed to back this up, then he had the force at hand and was not afraid to use it.

Stu,

Speaking of the RCMP, how do those guys catch speeders while on hoseback? :rofl::rofl: