Thread: DeWalt is here

DeWalt is here

Well, hopefully, the problems with my cordless drill saga are over. I had posted that the charger for my B&D 12V Firestorm went bad, not the batteries, the charger. Well, thought I solved that dilemma when I bought another one from eBay that came with a charger. Low price. Good deal. A few weeks after getting that, the new charger when bad. So, now, I had two drills, a sander attachment, a jig saw attachment, four batteries and two no-good chargers. Cost of rebuilding the batteries would have put me near a new outfit in cost, plus I still would have two bad chargers that needed repair. Replacing was not possible, you just don't find chargers by themselves. Plus I had lost confidence in the B&D chargers. Well, the poll here showed, by a wide margin, that DeWalt is the preferred and most reliable of the cordless drills on the market. But, I still hesitated. Then, one day, VOILA, FW came through again. I was told the charger that came with the DeWalt, was better quality and did a range of volts from about 7 to about 18 and would take my old B&D Firestorm 12Vs. So, I checked prices. The DC728 14.4V model I picked out was $199.00 at Lowe's. I don't walk into Home Depot. Wal-Mart doesn't carry. Checked Amazon, $143.00 and free shipping. $56.00 savings is happiness to me. That will go towards a new lathe chuck. Ordered it, got it. Haven't used yet but noticed a couple things different than the B&Ds. Heavier and the chuck is obviously better quality. I trust the reports here will bear up as to overall quality. Now, I'm back in business with a total of four cordless drills (I have a 9.6V B&D Versa-Pak set also).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails drills.jpg  
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Frank, glad it all worked out for you! Always have to check Amazon before you by anything...you never know.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

I've had that same DeWalt drill for about five years. It's indestructable! I've dropped it from ladders, from a roof once, and also used it to drive literally thousands of deck screws, and it still works almost like new. If/when it dies, I'll get another one just like it!
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

Thumbs up

Good going, Frank.

I have a 7 year old DeWalt 12V drill that just keeps running. I did, however, have the batteries rebuilt last year. I think you will like the yellow and black.

Congrats Frank, I think you'll be happy with it.

Ken

New tools are always fun!

Nice and congrats Frank! Hope it serves you well!

Corey

Congrats, Frank. Looks like a great addition to the arsenal.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

I hope that it serves you well Frank.
    Cheers, Frank

Gotta add a postscript here. Y'all please note, it ain't a Grizzly. Now, Grizzly does have a similar model for about 1/3 the price. But, my decisions are based on what I believe is the best value for me. Maybe a Griz would have served well for more years than I have left, I dunno. But this type of tool gets a lot of use and y'all reported great service from them. To me, that added up to value. FW has proven it's worth.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire