DeWalt is here

Frank Fusco

Well, hopefully, the problems with my cordless drill saga are over. I had posted that the charger for my B&D 12V Firestorm went bad, not the batteries, the charger. Well, thought I solved that dilemma when I bought another one from eBay that came with a charger. Low price. Good deal. A few weeks after getting that, the new charger when bad. So, now, I had two drills, a sander attachment, a jig saw attachment, four batteries and two no-good chargers. Cost of rebuilding the batteries would have put me near a new outfit in cost, plus I still would have two bad chargers that needed repair. Replacing was not possible, you just don't find chargers by themselves. Plus I had lost confidence in the B&D chargers. Well, the poll here showed, by a wide margin, that DeWalt is the preferred and most reliable of the cordless drills on the market. But, I still hesitated. Then, one day, VOILA, FW came through again. I was told the charger that came with the DeWalt, was better quality and did a range of volts from about 7 to about 18 and would take my old B&D Firestorm 12Vs. :) So, I checked prices. The DC728 14.4V model I picked out was $199.00 at Lowe's. I don't walk into Home Depot. Wal-Mart doesn't carry. Checked Amazon, $143.00 and free shipping. $56.00 savings is happiness to me. That will go towards a new lathe chuck. Ordered it, got it. Haven't used yet but noticed a couple things different than the B&Ds. Heavier and the chuck is obviously better quality. I trust the reports here will bear up as to overall quality. Now, I'm back in business with a total of four cordless drills (I have a 9.6V B&D Versa-Pak set also).

Attachments

• drills.jpg
    drills.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 68
I've had that same DeWalt drill for about five years. It's indestructable! I've dropped it from ladders, from a roof once, and also used it to drive literally thousands of deck screws, and it still works almost like new. If/when it dies, I'll get another one just like it!

Good going, Frank.

I have a 7 year old DeWalt 12V drill that just keeps running. I did, however, have the batteries rebuilt last year. I think you will like the yellow and black.

Gotta add a postscript here. Y'all please note, it ain't a Grizzly. Now, Grizzly does have a similar model for about 1/3 the price. But, my decisions are based on what I believe is the best value for me. Maybe a Griz would have served well for more years than I have left, I dunno. But this type of tool gets a lot of use and y'all reported great service from them. To me, that added up to value. FW has proven it's worth.