Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need some shotgun help please...

I need some shotgun help please...

Tonight I bought my frist new firearm in over 30 years and I have a question that the manual nor my experience addresses. My new gun is a Yildiz 12ga over and under and will accept 3" magnum shell. I've never owned a shotgun that will fire 3" shells before and the two old shotguns I have now are 16ga and I've always shot 2.75" shells in them. So here's the stupid question; can the new Yildiz take any 12ga shell up to a 3" mag? Or, is it supposed to only shoot 3" shells? The owners manual (it's made in Turkey) is blissfully devoid of any details at all, in fact, it's mostly just pictures but, it never even mentions ammunition at all. Any advice would be helpfull.
    Member; Society of American Period Furniture Makers

Chris:

Shotgun shells headspace on the rim at the base of the brass part of the shell and thus your 3" mag capable 12 gauge can happily accept 2 3/4" non-magnum ammunition.

Just like I can safely (and, my shoulder says, happily) use the same 2 3/4" ammunition in my 3 1/2" magnum capable 12 gauge.

Go forth and let the clay pigeon population plague ye no more!

And thanks for asking - better to ask than blow yourself up.

Thanks Mark,

I respect firearms as much or more so than my power tools and believe that practicing safety makes using them much more enjoyable. My other shotguns are handmedowns from my grandfather and while I've had lots of experience and training with firearms this was something unfamiliar. Better to ask a stupid question and only injure my ego than to take a chance and be a statistic. Thanks again!

Chris.....NO safety question about a firearm or other tools is stupid!

Enjoy my friend!

Ken

Maybe you'll enjoy this

Though its a bit of a highjack

Its a Parker VH model with birdseye stock my father made.
    Last edited by John Dow; 07-11-2008 at 01:20 AM.

Ken beat me to it. Never hesitate to ask that kind of question. And Mark's explanation is right on the money.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Many years ago I bought a 12ga single Cooey which would take up to 3" shells. I was told that I should try to use 3" as much as possible because if I was to use 2.75" a lot of the time, a powder residue would build in front of the short shell making it difficult to load the 3" when I wanted to use them if I switched sizes before cleaning it. I no longer have it and rarely used it anyway, but I am curious to know ....

Fiction or truth??

cheers eh?

John D,

That's a great side by side and the stock your dad made is spot on nice.

John B,

My grandad had a 22 cal rifle that would shoot shorts to LR loads and he swore that shooting anything but longs would cause problems with jamming. I saw this happen but, I don't know if the explantion he gave which, is the same as recounted to you, is the reason for the jams. I've also heard that shooting differing lengths of rounds in rifles can cause rings of pitting inside the barrel and that these can alter chambering of rounds but, never applied to shotguns.

Quote Originally Posted by John Bartley View Post
    Many years ago I bought a 12ga single Cooey which would take up to 3" shells. I was told that I should try to use 3" as much as possible because if I was to use 2.75" a lot of the time, a powder residue would build in front of the short shell making it difficult to load the 3" when I wanted to use them if I switched sizes before cleaning it. I no longer have it and rarely used it anyway, but I am curious to know ....

Fiction or truth??

cheers eh?
    Not a silly question. No problem shooting 2 3/4" in a 3" chamber. This is probably a carry over from blackpowder days. Although, I don't believe there were 3" chambers back then but old tales do hang on. Youd do need to clean the gun occasionally, though. Also, Chris question was wise to ask. I'm borderline obsessive when it comes to firearms safety. BTW, I've never heard of the Yildiz brand. Presume it is Checzlosovakian import or some such.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Barton View Post
    John D,

That's a great side by side and the stock your dad made is spot on nice.

John B,

My grandad had a 22 cal rifle that would shoot shorts to LR loads and he swore that shooting anything but longs would cause problems with jamming. I saw this happen but, I don't know if the explantion he gave which, is the same as recounted to you, is the reason for the jams. I've also heard that shooting differing lengths of rounds in rifles can cause rings of pitting inside the barrel and that these can alter chambering of rounds but, never applied to shotguns.

Chris.....I think the jamming problem with 22 s ...shorts...longs.....long rifles could be related as your grandfather said. I only shoot 22 LR in my target pistol and rifle. A 22 shell is captured by the rim at the rear of the cartridge. IIRC...22 shorts....longs....LR are all different lengths and thus don't extend into the chamber to the same depth. Thus....shooting shorts has the potential of building a residue in front of it. This area could then restrict the longer 22 longs and long rifles from seating properly and jamming. I haven't seen a short in years so my memory could be failing me. I have a Ruger Mark II 22 pistol that the LOML gave me for shooting pistol sihouette competition and I have a 22 rifle that was the last gun my father owned. To get an accurate load with the 22 I just tried different brands and "models" until I found the one that gave that particular gun the best group at 100 and 200 yards and run with that load.

With centerfire rifles, at least mine, it's not a problem. I have 2 custom built rifles....one a 338-06 (short range elk rifle) and a 284 Remington (7mm-06) long range elk, deer and antelope rifle. I hand load for both and thus control the length of the overall cartidge size.

The 338-06 tries to act like a 338 Win Mag but with considerably less powder and kick. My favorite load is a 225 gr bullet.

The 7mm-06 long range flat shooting...tries to act like a 7mm Mag but again with less powder and kick.

I always clean my guns immediately after shooting them. If you use the shorter shotgun loads, I'd clean the gun before using 3" loads.

While shooting benchrest competition years ago, it was not unusual to clean and see other shooters clean their guns between targets as cleaning the barrel removed a possible unplanned variable.