Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is going on with WW forums lately

What is going on with WW forums lately

I just thought I'd ask this.

I belong to several WW forums. It seems like all of them have been going though the wars as of late.

What is going on lately ???
    Last edited by Jeff Horton; 11-04-2007 at 11:04 PM. Reason: Violation of CoC removed
    パトリック
    daiku woodworking
    ^deshi^
    neoshed

I have given up on many other forums because of senseless posturing and the degradation of a valid WWing discussion into a juvenile fight. This forum has been pretty free of such things but a few have cropped up even here.

I know that the moderator team, of which I am part, take these things very seriously and want to assure only the best experience for those that post here. I have every confidence that a happy, valuable forum will continue here.

And no, I don't work in advertising or the propaganda department, it just kinda came out that way. I share your confusion and hope that the folks here will self regulate more often and remember why we are here ;-)
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    And no, I don't work in advertising or the propaganda department, it just kinda came out that way. I share your confusion and hope that the folks here will self regulate more often and remember why we are here ;-)
    Glenn,

We have a "Propaganda Department" here? Where can I sign up!
    We create with our hands in wood what our mind sees in thought.
    Disclosure: Formerly was a part-time sales person & instructor at WoodCraft in Buffalo, NY.
    www.tinyurl.com/thewoodshoppe

Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas
    When Irish Eyes are smiling, they're usually up to something!!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...but most likely, I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3

Sorry guys, I just posted another thread before I saw this one. My questions are along the same lines.

As far as I can tell, it kind of comes and goes in waves. I think any time you have more than one person in a room, there a possibility for disagreements and for someone's feelings to get hurt. It happens at home, work, church, shopping, lodge meetings, pool-playing, or on forums.

I'll echo what Glenn said about the Mods here taking the job seriously and really trying to do what's right for the forum. The job is sometimes difficult, deals with judgment calls, and Mods often have to set their personal feelings aside and make decisions based on the rules and regs. By the very nature of the job, there are almost always going to be people who disagree with the decisions made.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

The problem as I see it with most forums is, some people take themselves way to serious. They let their egos get in the way of normal thinking and let that drive the forum. These people usually have been around the hobby for a longer time and for the most part do some excellent work, some may be even called artists of the trade and some look up to them as somewhat of a leader. Once someone goes against the grain of these people in their thinking, infighting follows. The people of the forum rise up against this person and say who do you think you are questioning our leader. Don't get me wrong, there is a enormous amount of great information and inspiration to be gained from some of these people and most of them will give that information freely and willingly; this is great for the hobby and isn't that what this really is?
    Randy,

Maker of Fine Lathe Tools & Accessories.

As someone that was excommunicated from smc about 6-9 months ago I can understand why it can be upsetting to see the turmoil. In forums, people at times tend to post things they probably wouldn't say in a regular social setting (unlike social gatherings at my house that seem to devolve into fraternity parties). On top of this is the fact that with typing you loose all body language and cues to the meaning so, people can be misinterpreted. I learned a valuable lesson when I was locked out of SMC, it's just an internet forum not, anything more than that. I have never let my ego get caught up in what I put on the forums and now view them more like television channels. When the channel gets boring or offensive, change the channel. I sure get a lot more woodwork done these days and enjoy my forum activity even more since embracing this philosophy...
    Member; Society of American Period Furniture Makers

Well, I have always thought of woodworkers as a pretty tough bunch. So, thicken up the skin and GET OVER IT! This is supposed to be the land of the free not the land of the offended! I really don't understand all the flamboyance of someone saying I'm taking all my toys and going home! Seems pretty childish to me!

If you're offended by what I've said...TOUGH! Now get back to woodworking!

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Nelson View Post
    Well, I have always thought of woodworkers as a pretty tough bunch. So, thicken up the skin and GET OVER IT! This is supposed to be the land of the free not the land of the offended! I really don't understand all the flamboyance of someone saying I'm taking all my toys and going home! Seems pretty childish to me!

If you're offended by what I've said...TOUGH! Now get back to woodworking!
    Hi Ed ,
    It is great to see you getting to the point, woodworking! You are da "man"!
    Shaz
    I am a registered voter and you can be too. We ( registered voters ) select the moderators for this forum by voting every six months for the people we want to watch over this family forum.
    Please join me. Register now.
    Shaz
    Here is how