What is going on with WW forums lately

I just thought I'd ask this.

I belong to several WW forums. It seems like all of them have been going though the wars as of late.

What is going on lately ???

Last edited by a moderator:
I have given up on many other forums because of senseless posturing and the degradation of a valid WWing discussion into a juvenile fight. This forum has been pretty free of such things but a few have cropped up even here.

I know that the moderator team, of which I am part, take these things very seriously and want to assure only the best experience for those that post here. I have every confidence that a happy, valuable forum will continue here.

And no, I don't work in advertising or the propaganda department, it just kinda came out that way. I share your confusion and hope that the folks here will self regulate more often and remember why we are here ;-)

As far as I can tell, it kind of comes and goes in waves. :rolleyes: I think any time you have more than one person in a room, there a possibility for disagreements and for someone's feelings to get hurt. It happens at home, work, church, shopping, lodge meetings, pool-playing, or on forums. ;)

I'll echo what Glenn said about the Mods here taking the job seriously and really trying to do what's right for the forum. The job is sometimes difficult, deals with judgment calls, and Mods often have to set their personal feelings aside and make decisions based on the rules and regs. By the very nature of the job, there are almost always going to be people who disagree with the decisions made.

The problem as I see it with most forums is, some people take themselves way to serious. They let their egos get in the way of normal thinking and let that drive the forum. These people usually have been around the hobby for a longer time and for the most part do some excellent work, some may be even called artists of the trade and some look up to them as somewhat of a leader. Once someone goes against the grain of these people in their thinking, infighting follows. The people of the forum rise up against this person and say who do you think you are questioning our leader. Don't get me wrong, there is a enormous amount of great information and inspiration to be gained from some of these people and most of them will give that information freely and willingly; this is great for the hobby and isn't that what this really is?

As someone that was excommunicated from smc about 6-9 months ago I can understand why it can be upsetting to see the turmoil. In forums, people at times tend to post things they probably wouldn't say in a regular social setting (unlike social gatherings at my house that seem to devolve into fraternity parties). On top of this is the fact that with typing you loose all body language and cues to the meaning so, people can be misinterpreted. I learned a valuable lesson when I was locked out of SMC, it's just an internet forum not, anything more than that. I have never let my ego get caught up in what I put on the forums and now view them more like television channels. When the channel gets boring or offensive, change the channel. I sure get a lot more woodwork done these days and enjoy my forum activity even more since embracing this philosophy...

Well, I have always thought of woodworkers as a pretty tough bunch. So, thicken up the skin and GET OVER IT! This is supposed to be the land of the free not the land of the offended! I really don't understand all the flamboyance of someone saying I'm taking all my toys and going home! Seems pretty childish to me!

If you're offended by what I've said...TOUGH! Now get back to woodworking!

Well, I have always thought of woodworkers as a pretty tough bunch. So, thicken up the skin and GET OVER IT! This is supposed to be the land of the free not the land of the offended! I really don't understand all the flamboyance of someone saying I'm taking all my toys and going home! Seems pretty childish to me!

If you're offended by what I've said...TOUGH! Now get back to woodworking!
Hi Ed :wave:,
It is great to see you getting to the point, woodworking! You are da "man"!:D
Shaz

Not wishing to offend anyone - if one doesn't want to read the off-topic forum, don't go there.

I, for one, enjoy the off-topic area. Sometimes the folks here know about snow-blowers or plumbing or whatever, and that can be very helpful....

Civility is the key, and I think that FW has it.

Ken

Not wishing to offend anyone - if one doesn't want to read the off-topic forum, don't go there.

I, for one, enjoy the off-topic area. Sometimes the folks here know about snow-blowers or plumbing or whatever, and that can be very helpful....

Ken

Well Said Ken.:thumb:

It's just the rutting season. Too much testosterone and not enough Titebond flowing. The bucks are banging their antlers against the branches and anything else that gets in the way.:D

Ken

Yep, and computers, motorcycles, washing machines, etc........

Great pool of knowledge we have here. :thumb:

Not wishing to offend anyone - if one doesn't want to read the off-topic forum, don't go there. Civility is the key, and I think that FW has it.

Ken

No one stands over any visitor to this board with a whip and a chair and forces you (GENERIC "you") to read threads/posts in any particular forum. The content is there for the picking and choosing.

Something that I just discovered--if you want to have your browser go to a particular forum, such as General Woodworking, every time you log on, it's really easy.

Go to the forum you want to read, then save that forum URL in your favorites. For example, the General Woodworking forum URL will display as http://familywoodworking.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2, and you can click on it and bypass all of the other forums, the new posts, even the home page. That way, you won't be bothered by the distraction of a thread title in the off-topic or turning forum, but can go directly to the area you are most interested in. You can do the same thing for each forum you are interested in.

Just a suggestion if you want to avoid the off-topic forum.

Nancy (46 days)

It's just the rutting season. Too much testosterone and not enough Titebond flowing. The bucks are banging their antlers against the branches and anything else that gets in the way.:D

where at doug:dunno: i have been lookun for them the past month and havnt found any that would poze for me. been a tough year.:rofl: bout ready to forget the antler soup and just get some meat.

where at doug:dunno: i have been lookun for them the past month and havnt found any that would poze for me. been a tough year.:rofl: bout ready to forget the antler soup and just get some meat.

7 does and a 8 point buck out in the soybean field most every night boss....