Selective New Posts

Hi All,

I like to use the New Posts menu selection at the top of the page to quickly check through the forum for WOODWORKING stuff that might be of interest.

My question, can I select which parts of the forum that the new posts will come from for my display? I would like to minimize the New Posts to display WOODWORKING threads only.

In particular I would like to eliminate Off-topic from any display. I am interested in WOODWORKING only.

Sorry to say, there is no way of doing what you requested, we looked into this a while back, we even looked into a way to let members "Turn off" certain forums they were not interested in, but this could not be done by the software.

I really understand you desire to do so, I guess, just don't click on anything that pops up in the "New Posts" list that is not in a woodworking related forum...........:dunno:

Lousy answer, I know, but........ that is what we got last time around, sorry.

Sorry to say, there is no way of doing what you requested, we looked into this a while back, we even looked into a way to let members "Turn off" certain forums they were not interested in, but this could not be done by the software.

I really understand you desire to do so, I guess, just don't click on anything that pops up in the "New Posts" list that is not in a woodworking related forum...........:dunno:

Lousy answer, I know, but........ that is what we got last time around, sorry.

Yep, that's about what I was told when I first asked about the new posts filter.

Bill,
It comes down to two options, if you use the new posts filter then you will have to further pick and choose what you want to read out of the results. Or, you could just go to each forum, and the threads with new posts will stand out. I use the 'mark all forums read' tool frequently, which allows me to easily see what is New when I am looking at a forum.
Hope this helps

Ned

Disclaimer: Any language in the below which could have either a computer science connotation or a political science connotation should be assumed to be intended with the computer science connotation.

If a certain member wanted to not access off-topic, could there be a new member class that "turns off" the off-topic viewing, similar to how "Member Only" is seen only upon registration and how "Voting Booth" is seen only by registered voters?

Would it be better (though likely a one-time hassle for most of us) to make off-topic an opt-in sub-forum analogous to "Voting Booth"?

Mark you are correct, we could do that, but, we have not done so, as our "Off Topic" area is not a "Tar Pit" like so many other online forums. We allow non-woodworking Off Topic threads, but we do our best to not let them become "Non-Family Friendly".

Cheers!

Bill asked a fair question and unfortunatly there is a way to do what he wants.

The simplest answer is do what I do. Look at the subject, what forum it is posted in, who posted it and ignore the ones you don't want to read. I don't typically read the turning forum since I do so little now days. I don't read that much in the off topic. Who posted it has a lot do with if I read it. Lately there are a lot more I don't read than I do read.