Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Robustfest pics

Robustfest pics

Mark k. and I had a blast yesterday, we trekked down to Bill Grumbine's Robustfest in his shop. 19 hour day, but it was well worth the trip.

Bill had a great turnout, there were about 20 or so of us there from several forums; woodcentral had a strong contingent: Ellis, Ron and Dominic, Joe plus a couple of local turners, And I assure you a good time was had by all. We all got out in the field for some log cutting, then we moved back into the shop and bill cut a hefty blank on his bandsaw.

and here he is 'breaking in' the new Robust

more pics to follow as soon as they upload to photobucket.
    -Ned

Hey Ned! It was great to meet you all. Everyone was a lot of fun - it was like one big room full of twisted humor.

Thanks again to Bill for hosting it, letting me play with his chainsaw, and letting me snag one of those pieces of silver maple. And of course thanks to his wife for the wonderful meal.

I've just signed up and am having a look around. Looks like a nice place you've got here

-Joe

Joe
    Welcome aboard! Yep, that was a blast yesterday, I'm hooked for certain! Thanks again for the help in cutting up those ash blanks. I can't wait to get over to Mark's shop and get them looking like a bowl or something... most likely 'something' knowing me.
    -Ned

Any time. I remember when I was standing exactly where you were last night, desperately trying to figure out what I was supposed to do with this beautiful piece of wood in front of me. How do I not destroy it?!?

I've finally realized it doesn't really matter what I do to it. Once I get it on the lathe it'll turn into something, whether it wants to or not

Be sure to get in touch if you guys ever find yourselves heading to NJ.

-Joe

Welcome Joe, you have a few on me, you got to meet Bill, Ned and Mark, all things I'd like to do, and you got to see that new Robust in person, paint me GREEN with envy!

I went to a turners meeting today, with NO turning, we had a workshop on how inverters work and how to change the bearings on a lathe......

But I scored some really nice chunks of wood, and sold some of my clamps at club members discount, so it was a good day.

One of the things I learned from the guy giving the dissertation on the inverters is that not all inverters are created equal, (Maybe you guys call the inverters VFD?) he also said that the one on the Robust lathe is by far and away the best on one the market and certainly the best one on any lathe for sale at the moment.

That pic looks great Ned, the lighting makes the lathe bed look like it has shark's teeth like this..........

Hey Bill, you just need to paint the eyes on it!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    That pic looks great Ned, the lighting makes the lathe bed look like it has shark's teeth like this..........
    HAH! I'm glad I'm not the only one who saw that

And that Warhawk sure is pretty.

-Joe

Interesting, I didn't see that, but that's a cool reference.

there's a shot of just the lathe itself.

Doesn't he look happy?

There's Dominic, and oh, by the way, look closely you can see that the lathe is passing the nickel test with flying colors!

Stu if just knowing I was there made you green with envy... I'm afraid your case just got immeasurably worse

me

mark

-Ned

Ned, YOU SUCK............... You too Mark
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Nice pics, looks like you guys had a great time as evidenced by the smiles and shavings.

Congrats to Bill on the new lathe and to you guys for making it to the event.
    A very wise man once said.......
    "I'll take my chances with Misseurs Smith and Wesson. "

Glad you had a blast, Bill had to re-arrange the shop a lot to make room for it.
    Looks good.
    Randy,

Maker of Fine Lathe Tools & Accessories.