Robustfest pics

Ned, YOU SUCK............... You too Mark :D :wave:

Don't feel bad Stu, You where there in spirit, we where talking about you. :D

I too had a great time meeting all of you, it is always great putting faces to the names you see here.

Bill and Lisa are two of the nicest people.

Ned, do you get that ash all cut up?

Don't feel bad Stu, You where there in spirit, we where talking about you. :D

I too had a great time meeting all of you, it is always great putting faces to the names you see here.

Bill and Lisa are two of the nicest people.

Ned, do you get that ash all cut up?

Yep we we chatting about your new eccentric chuck and everything, not to mention the Dungeon.

Ron, yes, Dom revved up one of the chainsaws and parted it down, then I borrowed the MM20 and got 6 or 7 bowl blanks out of it. Might not be the prettiest pieces coming out of it feather wise, but I just wanted to get Some turning stock out of it. I still have to find someone up here in NY with a chainsaw as I still have the other straight log chunk sitting in the yard. (it was in my truck here at the house, but I had to pick up some more plywood for my shop. too bad the rains are rolling in right now, though.

ah well, have to see how long they might last, I may yet get the bottom row of sheathing installed.

Thanks for the pics Ned! Looks like everyone had a great time! I must say that the Robust must be one heck of a lathe - Bill even looks - well, somewhat delicate next to it!:rofl::rofl:

Wes

Bill Grumbine and the word delicate in the same sentence....Who woulda thunk it?

I heard that! Me? Delicate? I am as fragile as a flower. If you go back and look again Mike, you will see that the lathe was not the only robust item at the gathering! :eek:

I had a great time, and I am glad to hear that the rest of you did as well. I looked at the pile of maple this morning and wondered if anyone took any after I told them to. I don't know if that Stubby will swing it Joe... :p

Yeah, Joe says to me, "I thought long and hard about buying a Robust", to which I replied, "Apparently you did not think long and hard enough!" :rolleyes:

Lisa made enough food that I am going to be eating sausages and vegetable soup for the next three weeks, not to mention pretzels, bagels, and oh yeah, a whole bunch of Canadian beer, eh? :D I think that will stay in the shop fridge, and I can pour out that Bud Lite that got left behind at Five Barns.

For Bernie, and anyone else who might be wondering, the chainsaw in the pictures is a Stihl 046 Magnum with a 28" bar. On a couple of the cuts the bar was barely peeking through the end of the log. I was glad for the help in moving the cut pieces around. Usually I get to do that stuff by myself.

Bill

Ned, YOU SUCK............... You too Mark :D :wave:

Stu:

Just to rub salt in the wounds, after we stopped playing with the power tools, I shared a bottle of mead that I brewed.

The reaction to my mead was so good that I will definitely need to rebuild the brewing table this winter and get some more batches going.

I am very appreciative of all of the advice and learning that took place in addition to the camaraderie of being around a great group of people!

Cool !!!

Man that looks like way too much fun.:thumb:

Sure wish I could have been there-that is a real "Beauty" of a lathe. And some big honkin wood !:eek:

Glad to see you all had a great time.

Stu:

Just to rub salt in the wounds, after we stopped playing with the power tools, I shared a bottle of mead that I brewed.

The reaction to my mead was so good that I will definitely need to rebuild the brewing table this winter and get some more batches going.

I am very appreciative of all of the advice and learning that took place in addition to the camaraderie of being around a great group of people!

OK Mark, you get your very own and exclusive "YOU SUCK" :rolleyes: :wave: :D

So...how many guys did it take to turn that one bowl? :rofl:

Looks like it was a great time...I'm envious, and wish I wasn't on the other side of the continent.

Congrats again on a beautiful lathe, Bill. I'd love to build a shop around a lathe like that, but I suspect it's not in my immediate future.

Yeah, Joe says to me, "I thought long and hard about buying a Robust", to which I replied, "Apparently you did not think long and hard enough!" :rolleyes:
...said the Robust dealer :huh: :D

Lisa made enough food that I am going to be eating sausages and vegetable soup for the next three weeks, not to mention pretzels, bagels, and oh yeah, a whole bunch of Canadian beer, eh? :D I think that will stay in the shop fridge, and I can pour out that Bud Lite that got left behind at Five Barns.
The food is the real reason I come by ;) There's some beer from Brooklyn and Boston in there, too, in case you get tired of that hoser beer.

-Joe

...said the Robust dealer :huh: :D

The food is the real reason I come by ;) There's some beer from Brooklyn and Boston in there, too, in case you get tired of that hoser beer.

-Joe

Joe, there is enough beer left over that there will be no danger of my turning muscle shrinking any time soon, and that does not even count Mark's excellent mead, which I think I am going to encourage him to produce.

"It's no wonder Robin Hood and his merry men were so merry," quoth Sir William, the Duke of Burl. :rofl:

Hi Gang!

I had such a great time hanging out with "the gang"! And not to mention putting that monster lathe to the test. What really freaked me out was how QUIET it was. That is, until Bill started throwing chips into orbit with that massive 3/4" bowl gouge! :D

Good food, good friends, almost unlimited turning stock, and a big lathe. Who could ask for more?

And, just for Sam Blasco's edification...

I wonder if this is what minmax intended that multi tool to do...

Ned

That's why they use the grind they do on the cast iron... So it looks so pretty when objects'de'arte are stored on the tables. :D Wish I could have been there -- that is one heck of a lathe, deserving of such a send off.

Every shot is of the back of my head, and the one with me face-on is blocked by a light. You tryin' to tell me something? :) :)

-Joe

Joe,
sorry about that, It wasn't intentional... however I did find one where you weren't facing the wrong way...

lookjoe.jpg

I keep processing more of the photos... (I have over 100 raw shots)

joe2.jpg

Hey look, there's Joe Fisher! He's looking at a terrific HF by Andy DiPietro.

wow3.jpg

That's a different angle of the show and tell collection covering the minmax.

wow2.jpg

wow.jpg

stevekturning.jpg

That's Steve K from Ajax, with Bill lookiing on.

You know something. I see all these photos of the renowned turners all turning on the same blank. Not a single shot of the finished product.

Unless shavings were the final product?:rofl:

Looks like fun had by one and all. I am very envious not only of getting together like that will tools like that. But shoot I wish they made trees that big down here in Texas:eek: