Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My 1st Cutting Board

My 1st Cutting Board

Here is my 1st cutting board. Its a pretty basic design. It is made of Cherry, Walnut, and Purpleheart. I glued it up, using TiteBond2, due to it being FDA approved for cutting boards. My new K-Body Clamps made this alot easier. I finished it with several coats of mineral oil.

In preparation for making this board, I watched the video pod cast on The Wood Whisperer site, and watched David Marks on Woodworks (DIY Channel) make a butcher block table.

http://thewoodwhisperer.com/?p=89
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CuttingBoard01.jpg   CuttingBoard02.jpg   CuttingBoard03.jpg  
    We create with our hands in wood what our mind sees in thought.
    Disclosure: Formerly was a part-time sales person & instructor at WoodCraft in Buffalo, NY.
    www.tinyurl.com/thewoodshoppe

Very nice indeed. Almost too pretty to chop veggies on.

Sure glad my wife is asleep, or she'd have one more project to add to my list

VERY nice Sean!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Great job, Sean. Watch out though...folks will see yours and want one of their own.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Talking Great job Sean

It is an awsume looking cutting board. But I have only one coment as to how much use it will get. I made a similar one (not as large) but with maple and Purple heart for my wife 25 years ago. It has yet to see a knife on its surface.She keeps it on a stand on the kitchen counter top as a decoration. Says it looks to nice to mark up with a knife. You just don't argue with the Boss!

Ron, I've seen it go both ways. It really depends on the owner. Some of the boards I've made that were "too pretty to cut on" get daily use. (One of my quilt pattern boards is a good example.) Others that I thought were pretty plain sit untouched by a knife, because the owner doesn't want to scratch the board.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

You pulled off a really nice job on the different sized rectangles.

I'd be scared to use it though - the rectangles would start "dancing" on me and I'd likely lose a finger getting it confused with the carrots!

I like the handle recess on the ends. Nice job!

Very nice, Sean!! I've got four just like that one about to come out of clamps. Did you make a jig to cut the side handles? Did you take any pictures? I'm sorta stumped....

Thanks!

- Keith

Thank you all, for your compliments! Hopefully I will be making some more as Christmas presents. I'm going to change the design for some, so I'll be sure to post them as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Starosta View Post
    Very nice, Sean!! I've got four just like that one about to come out of clamps. Did you make a jig to cut the side handles? Did you take any pictures? I'm sorta stumped....

Thanks!

- Keith
    Keith,

I didn't take any pictures of how I made the side handles, but I can try to explain it.

I used a 3/4in straight router bit, in the router table. I adjusted the fence to expose most of the bit. I determined where I wanted to start the cut and end the cut. Then I clamped 2 scrap blocks to the fence. The clamped blocks served as start and stop limits. I put the cutting board up on end and eased it in to the fence, making sure that the end of the board was touching the 1st block. Then I pushed the block along the fence until it hit the 2nd block. Then I eased it out away from the bit. I repeated the process for the other side. I did a lot of test cuts on scrap until I got the right depth and height adjustments that I was looking for.

If this didn't explain it well enough for you, let me know, I can reset up the blocks on the fence and shoot some pictures. Its a pretty quick setup.
    We create with our hands in wood what our mind sees in thought.
    Disclosure: Formerly was a part-time sales person & instructor at WoodCraft in Buffalo, NY.
    www.tinyurl.com/thewoodshoppe