My TS was purchased from Glenn. It had 90 # bag of cement (wrapped with plastic for safety) on the shelf for, don’t you dare vibrate, ballast. I wanted to add better dust collecting and the cement was in the way. I went to the local scrap steel (and other kinds of recycle) establishment to see if I could get the desired weight with something smaller than the bag of cement.
The boss had a guy cut three 16” x 16” pieces of 1” thick steel plate. The steel was originally one of those plates you drive over while roadwork is being done. The 16” plates weighed 57 pounds each. (Total costs $10.00) I put two of the plates in the bottom of the TS base. The plates did not go wall-to-wall like the cement and took up only 2” vertically. I put a layer of the soft “crinkly” shelf liner under the bottom weight and another on top of it to reduce possible vibration noise and to reduce possible shift in position of the steel. Actually I think those plates will move or vibrate about the time Bird’s Eye Maple sells for 1 cent per board foot.
Attachment 14200 A steel plate
Attachment 14201 Two steel plates in saw base
I cut 3/8” ply to fit over the open sides of the base. I cut a 4 inch (plus a little) hole and mounted a 4” Closet Flange, Spigot Fit (yes that is the name of it), ABS material, (Lowes #436863, $4.53) over the hole.
Attachment 14202 Closet Flange attached to ply which is fastened to TS base
An ABS Soil Pipe Adapter (Lowes # CL5805, $5.77) friction fits right over the Closet Flange on the saw. 4” flex hose makes a very tight friction fit over the other end of the Soil Pipe Adapter. I didn’t use clamps, I just put tape over if (security blanket I guess). The Soil Pipe Adapter (SPA) goes on and removes easily from the Closet Flange when desired and yet stays in place without glue, screws or whatever.
Note that the SPA on the right shows a lump where the casting sprue attached. The SPA on the left shows how it looks when the sprue is ground/filed off. This is an easy task.
The 4” flex made a loose fit with my 4” aluminum blast gate from Rockler (#20864, $10.99, about $6.00 on sale). I slathered some silicone glue on the gate and in the flex. I then tightened the flex with two circles of bailing wire. I put some heat shrink over the sharp twisted bailing wire ends and bent them down into the “groove” (in the flex) to get them out of the way. This appears to work very well.
So we went from dust (must be the dry beer), through the water closet flange, through the SPA, up through the flex, through the blast gate, through the 4” to 6” adapter and down (all of my ducts have a very slight downhill slope towards the DC) the PVC to the dust collector. Works like a charm.