Fun with Video Editing

HERE Greg.

$160 US

I need the Win XP Pro, so I can also use Japanese with it.

There are a bunch of them that are "OEM" for Dell, or HP computers, but I'm not sure it they would install on "Any" computers or not? :dunno:

Cheers!

Stuart,

While you are at it, consider upgrading to at least 2GB RAM (fairly cheap these days), and get a large Firewire (preferred) or USB2 external HDD - these are also cheap / inexpensive now. I paid just over $200 for the 500GB drive last week; I imagine they will/should(?) cost about the same there.

Note: I prefer the Firewire external drive - I believe it wins over USB2, as it is a separate bus, while USB2 uses the machine's bus. Someone else please chime in if this is wrong.

Does your PC have Firewire? It is also called a "1394" bus. If you don't, then USB2 is the way to go. USB1 is just too slow.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Well just to update this, I found out I was wrong about the video card, it was an "Intel On-Board" card, so I just went out and bought a new card..........

0,1425,sz=1&i=89202,00.jpg

NvidiaGeForce 6200

Nice little card, cost about $70:D

Boy did it make a HUGE difference, I also bought a 320 GB external HDD for about $120, this will give my video rendering LOTS of room to play!

XP is on the way, but the bump to 2 GB of RAM may have to wait, I have 1GB now, but to get 2 GB, I'd have have to ditch both of my 512Mb RAM cards and buy two new 1Gb cards at $100 each:doh:

Video seems to be rendering fine now! :thumb:

Cheers!

Last edited:
Cool...I also think you'll be amazed when you get to increase your RAM. Get out there sell some more cigars! I bumped mine up last week to 2GB and it was VERY noticeable when I was working the program.

Well, I've been looking for options, and I found a set of two 1 GB ram for about $80, on auction, if they stay that cheap, I'll take the chance.

Sure is nice to do a simple plug and play upgrade as well, popped open the case, removed the slot blocking thing, popped the card in, secured it, closed the case and fired up the computer. Ran the install CD and that was it, worked fine right out of the box.

Not only that, the new external HDD had a one year warranty, but for about $5, I got that extended to FIVE years! The kicker was that the $5 came from points on my point card for the electronics shop, and they are having a sale, so I get 10% points back, not the usual 5%, thus, $70 for the graphics card, and $120 for the external HDD is $190, and the points I got on that was $19, so the $5 came from that $19 :thumb:

Now the rendering is WAY faster, takes about 3 minutes of rendering time for 2 minutes of video time, before it was like 10 minutes of rendering time for 1 minute of video time. Now a 30 minute video takes 45 minutes to render, before, FIVE HOURS!!! :doh:

This has been a LOT cheaper than buying a new system as well.

Cheers!

...Now the rendering is WAY faster, takes about 3 minutes of rendering time for 2 minutes of video time, before it was like 10 minutes of rendering time for 1 minute of video time. Now a 30 minute video takes 45 minutes to render, before, FIVE HOURS!!! :doh:

This has been a LOT cheaper than buying a new system as well...

Terrific news, Stuart!

1. What type of HDD is it? Firewire, or USB2?
2. I am sorry I did not ask earlier what type of graphics system you had. My bad.

Some things to watch out for, while rendering:

1. Turn off your anti-virus
2. Turn off your screen saver
3. Defrag that large HDD often. If fragmented, you can lose sync on the videos

Good luck! I look forward to seeing some video made with that killer machine.

Hi Al

The HDD is a USB2, but is seems fast, has a Turbo function on it :dunno:

Buffalo HD-CS320U2 Sorry Japanese only!

It is 7200 RPM and has a transfer rate of 480 Mbps

Thanks for the tip on the antivirus, and the defrag, I'll do that often.

Did I mention how much better some of my 1st person shooter games work now :D

Cheers!

Oh Yeah, I do not know if bumping the RAM will make a big difference, now, it barely uses 10% of the RAM I have, but ALL of the CPU power...............

mem_cpu_useage.jpg

:dunno:

Stu the 10% you're looking at is actually the amount of page file being used...

Windows 2000 task manager is a little bit misleading, here is a link that will help clarify things for you ->

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/Bb742598.aspx

There is another useful tool included with Win2K called Performance Monitor that is much more useful.

The link explains this in detail as well.

Good luck :thumb:

PS. Stu here's a great link for tweaking Win2K's memory subsystem ->

http://arstechnica.com/guides/tweaks/memory-1.ars

Last edited:
Thanks Jim, I'll take a look, but I have a new Win XP Pro disc on the way, so I'll be installing that very soon, I understand that XP does all of this a LOT better than 2K :dunno:

Cheers!