Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need advice on this chuck................

need advice on this chuck................

i'm looking at a Barracuda2 Key Chuck System for 169.99 that comes with 4 jaws and the spindle adaptor for my 1935 sears lathe....it looks like a good deal for what i'm going to need..................bob

Hi Bob

I have one and I think they are well worth the money. It might not be quite as heavy duty as my Oneway Talon, but it is well made and will hold up under a lot of turning. I also tested the Barracuda 4 for PSI, and it is a well made chuck too. If you have any specific questions, I will be glad to try and answer them.

Bill
    Bill Grumbine

www.wonderfulwood.com

Good Chuck !

I have used them and like them. I was quite impressed with the overall fit & finish as well as what you get in the kit. Very good value.
    Don Orr

Woodturners make the World go ROUND

I have the 2 and the 4. Love them both. They have held anything I have thrown at them so far.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I've used the 2 and 4. Both are great, just waiting to be able to afford mine!!!

Bob,

I have the B2, and I'm very happy with it. Sometimes I wish it were bigger, but then I do crazy things with it. It was the best quality/price thing I could find in that range. Perhaps the best recommendation I can give is this: I never think about upgrading my chuck, and I never kick myself for selecting that one...

Thanks,

Bill

I recently picked up the B2 from Amazon (a bit less expensive than direct from PSI), and I have no complaints. Very hard to beat it in the bang/buck category.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Grumbine View Post
    Hi Bob

I have one and I think they are well worth the money. It might not be quite as heavy duty as my Oneway Talon, but it is well made and will hold up under a lot of turning. I also tested the Barracuda 4 for PSI, and it is a well made chuck too. If you have any specific questions, I will be glad to try and answer them.

Bill
    At one time or another I have seen both of these chucks but don't remember what the difference is could someone please fill me in. Thanks
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

Quote Originally Posted by Bart Leetch View Post
    At one time or another I have seen both of these chucks but don't remember what the difference is could someone please fill me in. Thanks
    I believe the main difference is size. The 2 is smaller than the 4.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

It sounds like Bart was asking about the Barracuda 4 versus the Oneway Talon. (The answer is about the same, though.)

For fairly detailed info on the PSI Barracuda series of chucks, see the online version of their printed catalog:
    [Barracuda 4] 8 lbs!

[Barracuda 2] 4 lbs

For info on the Oneway chucks, check out the Oneway website:
    [Stronghold] 8 lbs!

[Talon] 3.5 lbs
    I use both the Oneway Talon and a "clone" of the PSI Barracuda 2 (formerly sold by Craft Supplies under the "Apprentice" brand) on my Delta Midi lathe. I would call the Talon my "go to" chuck, but for the smallish stuff I do the two chucks are pretty much interchangeable.

One big difference is in what you get for your money. The Barracudas (not yet available when I bought my Talon) come with multiple sets of jaws, each of which has a non-negligible cost on the Oneway side.

Note that the Oneway pages seem to draw the line between Stronghold and Talon at a swing of 16". The PSI pages recommend the B4 for swings of 10" and up, and the B2 for "mini, midi or full-size lathes".
    Last edited by Kerry Burton; 11-06-2007 at 09:49 PM.