need advice on this chuck................

bob koller

i'm looking at a Barracuda2 Key Chuck System for 169.99 that comes with 4 jaws and the spindle adaptor for my 1935 sears lathe....it looks like a good deal for what i'm going to need..................bob

Hi Bob

I have one and I think they are well worth the money. It might not be quite as heavy duty as my Oneway Talon, but it is well made and will hold up under a lot of turning. I also tested the Barracuda 4 for PSI, and it is a well made chuck too. If you have any specific questions, I will be glad to try and answer them.

Bill

Good Chuck !

I have used them and like them. I was quite impressed with the overall fit & finish as well as what you get in the kit. Very good value.

Bob,

I have the B2, and I'm very happy with it. Sometimes I wish it were bigger, but then I do crazy things with it. It was the best quality/price thing I could find in that range. Perhaps the best recommendation I can give is this: I never think about upgrading my chuck, and I never kick myself for selecting that one...

Thanks,

Bill

I recently picked up the B2 from Amazon (a bit less expensive than direct from PSI), and I have no complaints. Very hard to beat it in the bang/buck category. :thumb:

Hi Bob

I have one and I think they are well worth the money. It might not be quite as heavy duty as my Oneway Talon, but it is well made and will hold up under a lot of turning. I also tested the Barracuda 4 for PSI, and it is a well made chuck too. If you have any specific questions, I will be glad to try and answer them.

Bill
At one time or another I have seen both of these chucks but don't remember what the difference is could someone please fill me in. Thanks

It sounds like Bart was asking about the Barracuda 4 versus the Oneway Talon. (The answer is about the same, though.)

For fairly detailed info on the PSI Barracuda series of chucks, see the online version of their printed catalog:
[Barracuda 4] 8 lbs!

[Barracuda 2] 4 lbs​

For info on the Oneway chucks, check out the Oneway website:
[Stronghold] 8 lbs!

[Talon] 3.5 lbs

I use both the Oneway Talon and a "clone" of the PSI Barracuda 2 (formerly sold by Craft Supplies under the "Apprentice" brand) on my Delta Midi lathe. I would call the Talon my "go to" chuck, but for the smallish stuff I do the two chucks are pretty much interchangeable.

One big difference is in what you get for your money. The Barracudas (not yet available when I bought my Talon) come with multiple sets of jaws, each of which has a non-negligible cost on the Oneway side.

Note that the Oneway pages seem to draw the line between Stronghold and Talon at a swing of 16". The PSI pages recommend the B4 for swings of 10" and up, and the B2 for "mini, midi or full-size lathes".

Last edited:
thanks guys....i pride myself on doing my homework even if i have been outta school since 1980................bob