Running a bead on joined components

Ron Fritz

I’m looking for an easy way in Sketchup to run a beading around the outside of a panel door that has its parts (stile & rails) defined as components. I know that I can explode the parts while they are together and then run the beading but then they will no longer be able to be defined as separate pieces again. Here’s a photo of the beading done on one of the components as well as the SU file. Thanks for your help. Ron

Attachments

• Panel Door Example (Medium).jpg
    Panel Door Example (Medium).jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 47
  • Panel Door.skp
    24.2 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
You'll need to run your bead on each individual component that makes up the door if you want to keep them as descrete components afterwards. Jump into each component, draw your profile (I suggest drawing it outside first, then copy/paste into each component you edit), then select the edges you want the profile to follow (three sides in the case of the stiles, one side in the case of the rails).

I don't know of any other way to do it, but I'm sure Dave'll be along soon :)

Thanks Dave, I knew there was a way to do what I wanted. Thanks for your help.

By the way, I watched your video on Brightcove on how to make a 3D leg using a 2D Cad drawing from Osborne wood Products. Very informative and helpful. I went right out to Osborne and downloaded a table leg and had a good 3D model in 20 minutes. I didn't have the Ruby script to smooth the edges of the leg but it came out OK anyway. I used the leg to draw the attached table. Thanks, Ron

Attachments

• Dining Table (Medium).jpg
    Dining Table (Medium).jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 27
Hi there,
here an example of a paneled door I made for an entertainment center. I used the method described by Dave for the bead.

Attachments

• Cadre porte gendarme eclate_640.jpg
    Cadre porte gendarme eclate_640.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 28
  • Image8_red.jpg
    Image8_red.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 29
  • Meuble_TV_11_640.jpg
    Meuble_TV_11_640.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 31
I know how to run the bead but what I don't get it is how to make a miter bead.

I have 45 degrees in my components and I am trying to make the bead with 45 degrees at the corners.
How can I do that?

Well, What I tried to do this:

I have the drawer hole and I was trying to make inset doors with a bead. I had one component inside the drawer hole 1/8 thick with miter corners
Then I create my bead profile and ran the follow me tool for the 1/8 component.
The follow me tool didn't complete the miters.

I kept playing with sketchup and I found a way: I ran the follow me tool with the bead profile and I didn't stop for the 45 degrees miter of the other component. Then I use the intersect using my 1/8 component to create the 45 degrees in the beed and the I had to clean up.

Is there any other way? Does it make any sense what I did?

:D