Hot deals from Steel City - again

Nancy Laird

http://www.steelcitytoolworks.com/homepage/Announcements_a.pdf

Steel City has announced discounts on all of their current models, as they are getting ready to bring in new inventory. Of particular interest should be the cabinet saws which are all discounted $400 or more. They are moving inventory to bring in the riving-knife and granite-top models.

The 18" band saw is now at $1300.

The link above is to a 6-page flyer announcing all of their reductions.

Happy shopping!!!!

Nancy (45 days)

Last edited by a moderator:
Nancy:

I think you forgot the "ht" at the beginning of the address you posted.

Are the ULS codes in your signature the designators for your laser tools? They seem vaguely like naval weapons systems designators, but I'm pretty sure that is not the case.

No, I didn't Mark--look again--it's there.:rofl::D

Yeah, I fixed it. I did a cut and paste on the url and obviously something got lost on the way from there to here. Sorry!

If anyone on this board is from Canada and has questions about the diff in pricing, I have an e-mail from Jim McEntee, the Canadian VP of SCTW, that explains why. If anyone is interested.

Nancy (45 days)

thanks nancy, they are gonna be at a local tool show in new orleans in a few weeks, i am hoping to strike a good deal on a few tools together....fingers crossed

chris

ps. still like my SC table saw. it has taken everything i have thrown at it, thousands of feet of lumber and the only problem was an inaccurate tape on the fence, got a new one in a couple of days. good customer service

Nancy: Are the ULS codes in your signature the designators for your laser tools? They seem vaguely like naval weapons systems designators, but I'm pretty sure that is not the case.

Yes, Mark, those are the model numbers of the two lasers we own. Universal has a couple or three series of machines and except for the M-20, I see no rhyme or reason for the designations. I guess they have a method to their madness, but I don't know what it is.

Nancy (45 days)

Those are some great prices, boy, just under a grand for a 3 hp cabinet saw :doh: Man, I wish I had room for one of them :D

BTW, Nancy, I made the link in you initial post "Active", so you can just click it.

Me thinks Christmas will come early this year for some of you guys! :wave:

Nancy, how quiet is the 65110 dust collector? I ask because the portable DC we have in the school wood shop is so dang gone loud, I seldom use it unless we are sanding. Would like one that wouldn't give me a headache after 10 minutes. Decibels don't really work for me as I don't equate them to noise level as that isn't my area. Loud as compared to a TS, lathe, planer, etc.?

Last edited:
Jonathan, that's the 1-1/2hp DC, and it's rated at 87dBa. That is louder than a table saw or lathe but quieter than a planer. That means that it's going be quieter than the Oneida 1-1/2 we have. We replaced the head in our planer this weekend with a Shelix head, and the planer is now quieter than the DC unit!!

Nancy (43 days)

Nancy, the 65200 is the 1 1/2 HP.
The 65110 is the 1 HP DC. So, will the 1 HP be quieter than the 1 1/2 ?? I don't mean to be bugging you, I feel confident in your answers and am trying to find something we will use daily. At this point it will be on a 4" trunk line with 6 outlets to the wood lathes predominantly. Then moved to the sander and table saw when needed. But going home with a headache from hearing roaring as well as the safety factor of not being able to hear each other is nonsense. Thanks for the information ahead of time.

Johnathan, the noise level specs are the same, 87 db for both, so I would presume them to be similar in that respect .. however, the 1 1/2hp provides almost twice the performance level for a moderate increase in cost. It also has a chip bag capacity of more than double the 1 hp , if that's important to you. Although normally the shortest distance between the tool (dust source) and the dc provides the best suction, perhaps you could locate the dc in a ventilated, sound insulated cupboard or a further distance from the working area and use some solid metal or pvc pipe to increase the efficiency of the air flow? A little distance can dramatically reduce sound level. If you were to do this, you might want to look for a remote control for it. They are readily available @ $50.
Bottom line is I've never heard of anyone who feels they bought too large a system, but many who wish they bought bigger.

Rick, very good points. I am one of those, cut and sand outside type of guys up until a few years ago. So a DC has been on my list to buy as soon as I get done converting a building into a wood shop. But got the opportunity to start a woods class using wood lathes and scroll saws and the wood shop hadn't been used and moved into another room at the school. We are making do, but the reduced noise level, building a cabinet around it sounds like the best option. Will have to get one purchased for the school. You sold me Nancy!!!:thumb::thumb::D:D Hmmmmmm, maybe should buy the one for home at the same time. :rolleyes::huh::dunno: What the heck. :thumb::doh::rofl:

Nancy, the 65200 is the 1 1/2 HP.
The 65110 is the 1 HP DC. So, will the 1 HP be quieter than the 1 1/2 ?? I don't mean to be bugging you, I feel confident in your answers and am trying to find something we will use daily. At this point it will be on a 4" trunk line with 6 outlets to the wood lathes predominantly. .

jonathan, you might be figgurin` a tad small on the cfm required to evacuate 6 pieces of equipment?.....do yourself a favor and research some more before jumping on a small unit. you`re talkin` about moving some serious air and i`m not aware of any small blower that`ll handle the volume you`ve mentioned.

I agree with Tod. Dust collection is a combination of sucking power and volume of air. It can be pretty complicated. You might want to talk to Oneida or some other similar companies that could steer you to an engineer. That way you would get a system designed for exactly your needs. I can honestly say a 4" main trunk line is not going to move enough air.

My main line starts off at 8" then tapers along it's length. Best of luck, and be forwarned DC can be more expensive than a lot of the tools in your shop.

Chris