Red Gum w/ Blackwood

Mark Cothren

I was inspired/tempted/provoked by Travis, Keith, Neal and others to try a pedestal/finial piece. This piece of Red Gum split apart on me when I started roughing it out, so I glued it back up with epoxy and it survived... then I added this Blackwood pedestal and finial.

It is 5" wide at the top and 10" tall w/o the finial... add the finial and it is 13" from the bottom to the top.

There are a few things I notice that could/should have been done better, so feel free to comment/critique/suggest/opine...

RedGumBlkWd01.jpg

000_0072.jpg

You're light years ahead of me Mark, so feel free to discount anything I say ... but here are my initial thoughts:

Perhaps a slightly wider base (where it contacts the table) with a touch more vertical thickness to it? Also, maybe a "blip" in the middle of the base stem to echo the one in the middle of the finial? :dunno:

May I live long enough to see anything this nice come off my lathe! :thumb:

Mark, every once in a while, someone posts a turning that when I first see it, I catch my breath and whisper "oh my." This was one of them. This piece is stunning, and like Kerry, I hope I live long enough to see anything this nice come off my lathe!

Nancy (45 days)