Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Honeymoon is over

The Honeymoon is over

I bought the little 10Ē Rikon band saw 2 years ago for small BS projects. I was pretty impressed with its overall build quality and wrote a mini review on it over at SMC. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=25527.
    I went to use it tonight, (itís been collecting dust for a couple of months) powered it up, and with a loud BANG the blade flies off the wheel. After the wheels stopped moving I opened the door to find that the tires had failed.
    It sure seems to me that a BS tire should last longer than 2 years. Iím still happy with the BS but their tires suck!
    I guess Iíll be calling Rikon tomorrow.

Has anyone else had this issue with their Rikon?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rikon-belt.jpg  
    "I am enclosing two tickets to the first night of my new play; bring a
    friend...if you have one."
    --George Bernard Shaw to Winston Churchill

"Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second..if there is
    one."
    --Winston Churchill, in response

Was the blade under tension the whole time?

I may be barking up a completely wrong tree but the tires look like rubber? What sort of climate was the machine stored in? It looks like they have perished from what I can see in the pic. Heat and/or moisture will accelerate perishing. So damp storage or hot storage will not have done them any favours. Not saying you shouldn't speak to Rikon but it might be worth making sure that your storage area doesn't suffer extremes.

Ian,

Assuming that the issue was natural rubber failure due to environment, would replacement tires made from that common polymer (yes, yes, I know I'm a chemist but polymer nomenclature just doesn't stick in my memory ) be helpful?

What is the name of that poly-whatever that replacement tires are made of? Polypropylene and polyethylene don't sound right. Here a poly, there a poly, oh never mind.

Anyhow, good luck and I hope you get back in business soon Bruce!

To be honest Mark I have no idea. I suspect that natural rubber, if that is what it is, is more sensitive to its environment than most "artificial" alternatives but I have no proof. I do know that I have had natural rubber items fail very rapidly from exposure to quite moderate heat sources for quite moderate periods of time. I was really just suggesting that Bruce took it into account before deciding on a storage location in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kosmowski View Post
    ...What is the name of that poly-whatever that replacement tires are made of? Polypropylene and polyethylene don't sound right. Here a poly, there a poly, oh never mind.

Anyhow, good luck and I hope you get back in business soon Bruce!
    Are you thinking of urethane tires? Not a poly, but I think that's the most common synthetic bandsaw tire material.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Thanks Vaughn - I think that is what I'm thinking of. Pretty sure it is a polymer as a tire, but probably not marketed as a "poly-" to avoid confusion with the finish.

I can almost imagine someone trying to build up a polyurethane tire by applying some Minwax.

Hubby says he thinks it looks like dry rot.

Nancy (45 days)
    Nancy Laird
    dandnspecialties@msn.com
    FWW Registered Voter and Voting Member
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!!

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to his country for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' If you love your country, thank a vet.

Going on 3 years with my Rikon bandsaw. Use it about 10-15 times a month.

Thanks for the heads up. Now you got me wondering what is down the road.

WoodWorking, Crappie Fishing, Colts, Life is good!

Sorry you are having trouble with the saw Bruce, but, tires are like blades, they do wear out, and need replacing.

I'd bet that most of the bandsaws out there, over a few years old, could benefit from a new set of tires, I think they are one thing that often gets overlooked.

I do have to say, I'm a bit surprised that the tires only lasted 2 years, seems a bit odd to me, but

Have you heard back from Rikon?
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward