a season change picture

Frank Fusco

This morning, while finishing the transport of some caffeine from the kitchen to the back yard, I noticed this photo op. OK, call me weird, I knew it before you did. :rolleyes: I keep a couple skulls posted around my property. This one is from one of our less fortunate cows from when we raised cattle. The bright tree and positioning of the skull looked like a picture opportunity. Dunno what message it sends, but, 'what the hey'. ;)

Attachments

• skull and tree small file.jpg
    skull and tree small file.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 83
We don't have many leaves left up north of you in IA. (Except for the ones in my yard) Looks like you have a beautiful fall down there?

Frank,

That's not wierd, it's just wierd-normal... ;) When I lived in Houston I had a couple of those long horn skulls, one posted at the garden's entrance to remind me, every time I walked through it, that the frost was coming (a hard thing to remember in Houston). I had one nailed to a tree as well, just because, well, what the heck, it's Texas... ;)

Anyway, nice photo... ;)

Thanks,

Bill

Dunno what message it sends, but, 'what the hey'. ;)
I like it Frank. I think it demonstrates really good composition. I think the skull and the tree, falling asleep for the winter, complement each other and the juxtaposition of the bleached white skull and the brilliant color of the tree is great.
Well done! :thumb:

We are in our color peak here in the valley while the surrounding highlands have been there and are on the down side.

I like it Frank. I think it demonstrates really good composition. I think the skull and the tree, falling asleep for the winter, complement each other and the juxtaposition of the bleached white skull and the brilliant color of the tree is great.
Well done! :thumb:

Thanks. About 7 a.m., the rising sun caught the tree just right and really lit it up. I needed something in the foreground to make it more than just a 'tree' picture. The skull was perfect.
BTW, is it OK to say "juxtaposition" on a family forum? ;)
Sounds like you might be an artist/photog type.
I have spent most of my life with a camera in my hands. My work, and skills, are more journalistic than artistic. I am able to capture pictures for the record or tell a story but the 'art' part has always stayed just a bit out of reach for me.

...I have spent most of my life with a camera in my hands. My work, and skills, are more journalistic than artistic. I am able to capture pictures for the record or tell a story but the 'art' part has always stayed just a bit out of reach for me.
You might not have been trying, but I think you reached the "art" part on this shot. Sane as Rennie, I like the way the picture is composed, and it all works on several levels. :clap:

Thanks. BTW, is it OK to say "juxtaposition" on a family forum? ;).
Gee, I hope so! :eek:
Sounds like you might be an artist/photog type..
Way back in the stone age when we processed our own Ektachrome and Tri-X I took a few courses and even did weddings for a while (worst job in the world). I'm way out of practice.
I have spent most of my life with a camera in my hands. My work, and skills, are more journalistic than artistic. I am able to capture pictures for the record or tell a story but the 'art' part has always stayed just a bit out of reach for me.
Ditto. I love taking pictures and sometimes hit one just right, but it's not repeatable with enough consistency to call myself talented, or even good. I keep myself happy, that's enough. :D

I am in no way, shape or form a photographer, but by taking six trillion photos when and wherever possible, I have had a good one or two.

The first picture is probably my best. I was coming back from lobstering and we were pulling into a crowded harbor with a thick, heavy fog. I snapped this picture as we skirted around the lobster boat. I think the fog in the back ground, the light sea, and the way the lobster boat reflects in the sea came out really good. It was a split second picture though...nothing planned that's for sure. The real photo is better than this shot posted on my website, but you can see what I am referring too still

For fall foliage shots, I like the second photo...

High_Expectations.JPG

Old_Building_On_Gulch_Road-552x417.jpg

Hi Travis - Nice work! :thumb: The picture of the lobster boat looks like it could have come right out of National Geographic. I really like it.

The fall color shot is also good. Lots of color. I'm no expert either, but I tend to feel that when the subject is centered in the shot that it hurts the balance of the composition. In a shot like this I think I would have tried to have the house in one of the lower corners (see Franks 'skull' shot). Centering the house captures the eye in the middle of the picture and discourages it from exploring the entire picture and seeing the fall color, which, I believe, was the primary subject.

Just my 2 cents - if it's actually worth that much!:rofl: