OK, I'm doing a couple of Hollow Forms, and I needed a "Bell" shaped vacuum chuck, so I made this up tonight.
I cut 3 thick pieces of MDF, glued them together with thick CA glue, then cut them roundish on the Phoenix. I them mounted them on one of the square blocks I made with the Beall threading tool thing.
I put it on the lathe, made DARN sure the cyclone extractor was RIGHT NEXT to the work and trued it up, and hollowed it out..........
I sanded it down nice and smooth to #240 and then applied a LOT of sanding sealer, maybe 3 coats. I then sanded that down to #320 and applied another 3 coats of Melamine Lacquer, until the surface was smooth, should hold enough air. I then cut a piece of inner tube I got from somewhere in a rough circle and used contact cement to glue it in place, and pounded it on with a rubber mallet. Once it was secure, I trimmed the inner tube (now gasket) up nice and neat with my skew........
How about that for 30 minutes work, and WAY cheaper than the Oneway units
next I mounted up the hollow form I'm working on.........
There the smallish hollow form is mounted up ready to get it's bottom spanked!
(look here for the finished piece)
here is the bottom of the hollow form all nice and smooth, well spanked I'd say!
I'll make these up smaller and larger whenever I need them, the don't take long to do and I'm sure they will come in handy all the time.
Sure is nice turning the bottom off with that vacuum rig.........gloat gloat