Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Bell Shaped Vacuum Chuck

New Bell Shaped Vacuum Chuck

OK, I'm doing a couple of Hollow Forms, and I needed a "Bell" shaped vacuum chuck, so I made this up tonight.

I cut 3 thick pieces of MDF, glued them together with thick CA glue, then cut them roundish on the Phoenix. I them mounted them on one of the square blocks I made with the Beall threading tool thing.

I put it on the lathe, made DARN sure the cyclone extractor was RIGHT NEXT to the work and trued it up, and hollowed it out..........

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	new_vacuum_chuck_sanded.JPG 
Views:	42 
Size:	79.2 KB 
ID:	14310

I sanded it down nice and smooth to #240 and then applied a LOT of sanding sealer, maybe 3 coats. I then sanded that down to #320 and applied another 3 coats of Melamine Lacquer, until the surface was smooth, should hold enough air. I then cut a piece of inner tube I got from somewhere in a rough circle and used contact cement to glue it in place, and pounded it on with a rubber mallet. Once it was secure, I trimmed the inner tube (now gasket) up nice and neat with my skew........

Name:	new_vacuum_chuck_finished.JPG 
Views:	50 
Size:	94.3 KB 
ID:	14311

How about that for 30 minutes work, and WAY cheaper than the Oneway units

next I mounted up the hollow form I'm working on.........

Name:	new_vacuum_chuck_in_use1.JPG 
Views:	44 
Size:	87.5 KB 
ID:	14312
    There the smallish hollow form is mounted up ready to get it's bottom spanked!

(look here for the finished piece)

Name:	new_vacuum_chuck_bottom_done.JPG 
Views:	42 
Size:	87.5 KB 
ID:	14313

here is the bottom of the hollow form all nice and smooth, well spanked I'd say!

I'll make these up smaller and larger whenever I need them, the don't take long to do and I'm sure they will come in handy all the time.

Sure is nice turning the bottom off with that vacuum rig.........gloat gloat

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Stu, you must be close to running out of room with all your "homemade" things. How well did your skew cut the rubber? Once again your design looks flawless.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Homemade stuff might use up space, but it leaves me with money in my wallet........ well SOME money

As the rubber was well glued onto the chuck the long tip of the skew, a small, thin skew, cut the rubber very well.

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

speaking of vac chucks... how loud is it? as in the pump/other noises caused by it.

Hi Ben.

Not very loud at all, the pump is quiet, I can listen to the radio over the sound of the pump and the DVR running, when sanding, it is all moot, as I turn on the cyclone

Just find a way to get one Ben, you WILL NOT regret it
    William Arthur Ward

Looks mighty fine Stu.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Looks really good Stu! Starting to think that a vac system just might make sense. Beginning to do some checking into vacuum systems - like what's required as far as pump, tubing, gauges, etc. I have no idea how to hook things up, etc. Haven't seen a system in person yet - so have to grab what info there is when I come across it.

As I am fairly new here - did you post anything on your vac system? Curious as I did a search and either I haven't entered the info correctly or no one's shown their system yet.

Thanks

Steve

OK, I admit it, I'm dumb as a post, but I have to ask:

Where does the vacuum come from? Some kind of pump, I'm sure, but is there a flexible hose inserted through the headstock? That stays there while it's spinning? I'm not very bright today, I just don't get it...

Thanks,

Bill

Bill

Vacuum is provided by a pump. Hose/pipe from pump is attached to lathe at headstock using any number of different adapters that attach to the outboard side of spindle. Still getting info myself - hope that helps.

Steve
    Last edited by Steve Schlumpf; 11-08-2007 at 04:55 AM.

Looks very handy, Stu,

Steve and Bill...www.joewoodworker.com has a lot of info on vacuum systems, including how to build your own. This is the pump a lot of folks go with. Various companies (including Oneway) make the part that attaches to the spindle on the outboard side of the headstock. (The part that allows you to hook up a vacuum line through the spindle and still spin the spindle without twisting the line into a knot.)

I plan to have a vacuum chuck setup shortly after I get a lathe that can take one, so I've read up on it a bit. I already know I need to run two 220v lines to the lathe...one for the lathe and one for the vacuum pump. All in good time.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com