Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mantle Hanging Question

Mantle Hanging Question

I have been asked to install a mantle over a fireplace. The problem I'm having is how to hang it. The wall surrounding the FP is covered with stone, and not a thin veneer! The stone has to be at least 6" to the wall. How do you mount a mantle to a stone veneered wall?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PIC-0035.jpg  

Is it a mantle with a surround or a chunk of wood suspended by the wall?

No surround. I may try and talk them into that since I could use that as the main support. But for now they want a board suspended.

I have mine (segment of an old log house) suspended by three 3/8 thick 2" wide pieces of steel, but I laid them in place whilst the face was being bricked. I suppose,If you are lucky enough to find a line where the mortar happens to be on the same level plane, in convenient locations along the beam placement, you can drill out the mortar put in the steel and grout with Hydraulic Cement ( used to seal cracks and leaks because it swells upon curing and tightens into the hole) Give it ample time to cure and gain strength, Then, Mortise in or rebate to fit the metal stem/stud as support. You can add a decorative corbel under either side to help stabilize, hide the steel, and add an extra feature.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Nelson View Post
    No surround. I may try and talk them into that since I could use that as the main support. But for now they want a board suspended.
    Hi Ed ,
    How thick of a board, would they go for brackets, cables?
    How deep do they want it ( in their world of make believe)
    """Brainstorming""" ( no thought is a stupid thought, now how can we hang this thing??????????)
    Shaz
    I am a registered voter and you can be too. We ( registered voters ) select the moderators for this forum by voting every six months for the people we want to watch over this family forum.
    Please join me. Register now.
    Shaz
    Here is how

Lightbulb

I would use a hammer drill and some hexhead tapcon screws to bolt a 2x4 ledger to the face of the rocks.

3/16" or 1/4" x 3 1/2" should do it in about 4 or 5 places across the width (every 12" - 16") Use bigger flat washers under the heads of the tapcons to help hold the 2x4 secure. Make your mantle to slip over the 2x4 and fasten with regular wood screws from above and below.

Save some of the stone dust from the hammer drill because if anyone changes their mind you could mix this with epoxy and fill the holes in the stone (3/16" holes are easier to fill and less noticeable)

Just some ideas for you...
    --------------
    Cheers! - Jim

I see what Jim is saying.... I think...

If you add Corbels that will help support any front sag. Of course you would have to scribe and releave the corbels as wellas the edge of the mantle to fit the conture of the wall.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mantle.JPG  
    Last edited by Bill Simpson; 11-08-2007 at 02:04 AM.

Right now we are still in the "figure out what we want" stage. They think they just want the mantle, no surround. They have another mantle, in another room, that is about a 1x6~8 with crown under it, and they think they want something similar.

Bill, your idea is what I was thinking of. I just want to be sure it wouldn't damage the rock wall.

Jim, I like your idea. I haven't dealt with rock walls, other than to admire them. Is there any risk of pulling the rock off the wall? I don't mean to sound paranoid, just want to be sure before I try something!

Hi Ed ,
    Here is a photo of a mantle I did to replace a builder basic mantle the owners hated. It offers some possibilities. I send this as mention of the brackets are a real possibility even on stone.
    Shaz
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails detailmantle.jpg  
    I am a registered voter and you can be too. We ( registered voters ) select the moderators for this forum by voting every six months for the people we want to watch over this family forum.
    Please join me. Register now.
    Shaz
    Here is how

ed,

i agree with jim about the tapcons, they are very strong.

in order to not use the corbels or brackets, if the need arises you could attach the 1st 2x4 ledger to the stone with the tapcons, then attach another one to it with long wood screws, then another to it, which would create a much wider ledger board to support the front of the mantle if needed.

good luck with whatever the outcome is. keep us posted

chris