Mantle Hanging Question

Ed Nelson

I have been asked to install a mantle over a fireplace. The problem I'm having is how to hang it. The wall surrounding the FP is covered with stone, and not a thin veneer! The stone has to be at least 6" to the wall. How do you mount a mantle to a stone veneered wall?

Attachments

• PIC-0035.jpg
    PIC-0035.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 41
No surround. I may try and talk them into that since I could use that as the main support. But for now they want a board suspended.

I have mine (segment of an old log house) suspended by three 3/8 thick 2" wide pieces of steel, but I laid them in place whilst the face was being bricked. I suppose,If you are lucky enough to find a line where the mortar happens to be on the same level plane, in convenient locations along the beam placement, you can drill out the mortar put in the steel and grout with Hydraulic Cement ( used to seal cracks and leaks because it swells upon curing and tightens into the hole) Give it ample time to cure and gain strength, Then, Mortise in or rebate to fit the metal stem/stud as support. You can add a decorative corbel under either side to help stabilize, hide the steel, and add an extra feature.

No surround. I may try and talk them into that since I could use that as the main support. But for now they want a board suspended.
Hi Ed :wave:,
How thick of a board, would they go for brackets, cables?
How deep do they want it ( in their world of make believe:rofl:)
"""Brainstorming""" ( no thought is a stupid thought, now how can we hang this thing??????????)
Shaz :)

I would use a hammer drill and some hexhead tapcon screws to bolt a 2x4 ledger to the face of the rocks.

3/16" or 1/4" x 3 1/2" should do it in about 4 or 5 places across the width (every 12" - 16") Use bigger flat washers under the heads of the tapcons to help hold the 2x4 secure. Make your mantle to slip over the 2x4 and fasten with regular wood screws from above and below.

Save some of the stone dust from the hammer drill because if anyone changes their mind you could mix this with epoxy and fill the holes in the stone (3/16" holes are easier to fill and less noticeable)

Just some ideas for you...:dunno:

I see what Jim is saying.... I think...

If you add Corbels that will help support any front sag. Of course you would have to scribe and releave the corbels as wellas the edge of the mantle to fit the conture of the wall.

Attachments

• mantle.JPG
    mantle.JPG
    12.5 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Right now we are still in the "figure out what we want" stage. They think they just want the mantle, no surround. They have another mantle, in another room, that is about a 1x6~8 with crown under it, and they think they want something similar.

Bill, your idea is what I was thinking of. I just want to be sure it wouldn't damage the rock wall.

Jim, I like your idea. I haven't dealt with rock walls, other than to admire them. Is there any risk of pulling the rock off the wall? I don't mean to sound paranoid, just want to be sure before I try something!

Here is a photo of a mantle I did to replace a builder basic mantle the owners hated. It offers some possibilities. I send this as mention of the brackets are a real possibility even on stone.

Attachments

• detailmantle.jpg
    detailmantle.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 33
ed,

i agree with jim about the tapcons, they are very strong.

in order to not use the corbels or brackets, if the need arises you could attach the 1st 2x4 ledger to the stone with the tapcons, then attach another one to it with long wood screws, then another to it, which would create a much wider ledger board to support the front of the mantle if needed.

good luck with whatever the outcome is. keep us posted

chris

Here is a photo of a mantle I did to replace a builder basic mantle the owners hated. It offers some possibilities. I send this as mention of the brackets are a real possibility even on stone.

Shaz, that looks great. If I may, I'd like to show them that mantle. Did you scribe everything to the stone? How is that mantle attached?

ed,

i agree with jim about the tapcons, they are very strong.

in order to not use the corbels or brackets, if the need arises you could attach the 1st 2x4 ledger to the stone with the tapcons, then attach another one to it with long wood screws, then another to it, which would create a much wider ledger board to support the front of the mantle if needed.

good luck with whatever the outcome is. keep us posted

chris

Chris, I have no doubts of the Tapcons. I've used them in concrete and brick with no problems. I would think the stone is much harder. any problem with their holding ability in Stone?

Ed, Bill's picture is about what popped into my mind...;)

I really like Chris's suggestion of building the 2x4 out to avoid corbels or brackets:thumb:
I don't think there would be any fear of pulling the rock off the wall as it's already holding up hundreds or thousands of pounds of rock. From your picture it looks like pretty substantial stone with thinner mortar joints between... stacked in a brick laying fashion. My bet is that this wall is also tied into the wall behind it. The weight of the mantle would be spread across 4 or 5 stones (guessing) and would be negligible in my opinion.

Tapcons would work very well in the kind of stone shown in your picture and they're even available in stainless (starting @ 1/4" diameter) or if you don't trust those you could go with wedge anchors (1/4" diameter would be enough) also available in stainless.
The same thing would work with a 2x3 sized ledger built out like Chris says but I wouldn't go much smaller then that.
You could carefully scribe the mantel or a piece of paneling as a pattern for the mantel and either plug the screw holes or hide them with a small molding going around the mantle next to the rock... On second thought glue alone would hold the mantel in place, just clamp till dry and voila! floating mantel on the face of the rock:D

Good luck with whatever you decide.

...I don't think there would be any fear of pulling the rock off the wall as it's already holding up hundreds or thousands of pounds of rock. From your picture it looks like pretty substantial stone with thinner mortar joints between... stacked in a brick laying fashion. My bet is that this wall is also tied into the wall behind it. The weight of the mantle would be spread across 4 or 5 stones (guessing) and would be negligible in my opinion...
I'm not sure, but I think there's a possibility it's a rock veneer, only 3 or 4 inches thick. They may be held in place with mortar or construction adhesive like Liquid Nails. Still, I'd think the Tapcons would work, as long as the stone is secure. (You might drill an exploratory hole first, to see if you can determine how thick the rock is, and what's behind it.)

I'll be watching with interest, since I've got a mantle that I'd like to replace, too. :lurk:

Thanks guys.

Jim, that was the answer I was looking for!

Vaughn, the stone is at least 6" thick, so it probably is tied to the wall. I know of a house in the Missouri that had a stone chimney basically just fall off. I'm sure that was installation issues, but has led to some of my questions.