You mean there are other forums...

Joe Fisher

...besides the woodturning ones? ;)

Hi, my name is Joe Fisher, and I'm a woodturner.

I got started a few years ago when I found a '53 ShopSmith ER10 at a garage sale for $250.

A few months of trial-and-error, Internet and book learning, and I was making some basic shapes and bowls.

ss.jpg

fids.jpg

Then I got a Beall setup and was dangerous.

shiny_bowls1.jpg

I thought it about time I get a bit of instruction, so I scheduled a lesson with our own Bill Grumbine. I learned lots of great technique and got to try some serious machines - the Poolewood and Vega 2600.

I went home with his DVD and 3 rough-turned bowls. But how will I finish those bowls? My little ShopSmith is a great piece of machinery, but not up to the task of turning these big bowls (or so I told my wife).

Enter the General 25-650.

me_and_general.jpg

Proud as a peacock, I turned on that machine for about a year. One of the bowls from my lesson was the first order of business:

bowl23_1.jpg

It's still one of my favorite pieces.

Of course, with a bigger lathe come bigger accessories...

new_toy.jpg

mm_landed.jpg

After having numerous problems with the lathe and General customer service, I decided to take the General rep's offer to take the lathe off my hands. I debated long and hard on what to upgrade to, narrowing the field to the PM3520B, Robust American Beauty and Stubby S750.

It was a difficult decision, but one I'm quite happy with.

shavings2.jpg

cherrybowl_090607_1.jpg

poplar.jpg

So when I'm not turning I'm being a computer programmer here in Parsippany, NJ. I build and fly radio controlled aircraft, I have a 1978 Triumph Spitfire 1500 that I'm restoring, I'm an amateur blacksmith and a Guitar Hero.

I'm slowly developing flatwork skills. I enjoy working with hand tools and am trying to make more time to practice.

You can see more of my work at my website here.

Anything else y'all want to know about me, feel free to ask away ;)

-Joe

P.S. Vroom.

vroom.jpg

Joe welcome to the family.:wave: Just like on other forums we like pics and you didn't dissappoint!! I like your lathe evolution story...hope to "evolve" someday myself.

Hey Joe!:wave:

Nice shop, nice lathes, nice bowls. Really nice car. I had a friend who had one a bit older than yours with a special edition russian roullette gearbox ;) which was great fun as he lived in a hilly part of a hilly town. Never a dull ride in that car.:)

I had to Google to find out which brand is showing in your picture. It's the Stubby S750. From the web site, it's a really powerful machine. That tool rest is some honkin' stout looking affair. I'm sure you will enjoy.

Hi Joe! :wave:

Welcome to the family!

WOW! when you upgrade you don't mess around.
I really like the story form of your pictured post. You
have a great shop there too. :thumb:

The guys and gals love those piles of saw dust. :rofl:

I have owned two ShopSmiths both Mark 5. It is
simply amazing what can be done with them. The
only thing I did not care for was the table saw feature.
It was just flat out dangerous to use.

I did, however, love the way that table worked in drill
press mode. :thumb:

DT

Hi Joe! :wave:

Welcome to the family!

WOW! when you upgrade you don't mess around.
I really like the story form of your pictured post. You
have a great shop there too. :thumb:
Thanks! I thought the story form would lend a little more insight into me and my journey to get here. Did I leave out the part about the Jet Mini? :) He keeps my Stubby company.

Yeah, I was so sad to sell my ShopSmith. I was the second owner and became very good friends with the daughter of the original owner.

But there's only so much room in that workshop ;) I was thinking about posting up some pictures of the whole shop. It seems there's some interest in it, anyway.

Thanks again to all the welcomers :)

-Joe

Hi Joe, Wellcome, boy you have a lot of activity's, I like your lathe story, the Spitfire is super, wish it was mine. Took also a look to your website, and I can tell you it was great. :thumb:

Howdy Joe

Welcome to the forum. You have provided a very nice introduction. I enjoyed the photos a lot. Man when you upgrade you really go for the gusto !!:thumb:

Very nice turnings as well. Thanks for sharing.

Welcome to the forum. You have provided a very nice introduction. I enjoyed the photos a lot. Man when you upgrade you really go for the gusto !!:thumb:

Very nice turnings as well. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for the kind words ;)

I decided that since I know I enjoy turning, I'd get the best lathe I could afford. I pinched pennies a bit when I got the General and it made me miserable. I didn't want to do that again.

My wife is very supportive of my habits and told me I should get the best tools I can. That's why I went with the MiniMax over the Bridgewood or Rikon saws I was looking at.

-Joe