Full size Drill Press mobile base

:huh:
NO Problem, SHORTY.................
Build attached step up or

independent roll around step
to reach all machines............:rofl::rofl::rofl:

As my dear old Mother would say "Tain't funny McGee"
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

As a mater of fact being short has been more of a plus (being an aircraft mechanic) than a hindrance.

All of my life my friends have seemed to be six footers or better.
So, hanging cabinets or setting up work spaces, I always go with standard height and then adapt. :huh:
I always make sure I have at least one low workspace for us "little people." ;)

This is my shop buddy:

5081-1155326926.jpg

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

DT

Don, I'd mimic Greg Cook's set up, I'd want to cantilever the casters out to the sides and drop the base of the dolly and the drill press as close to the ground as possible, like 1/8" or maybe 3/16" max. This gets your center of gravity close to the ground, which is good and it also make a tip over, front to back (assuming the casters are out on the sides) just about impossible, as the bottom of the dolly would rotate into the ground if it was tipped much at all.

Do you have a welder? If you do, some stout angle iron, I'd say 2" wide or so is all you need for the frame of the dolly, make it just a hair wider than the base of the drill press, and if the drill press is NOT exactly square, that is what a 4" angle grinders are for :D

For the cantilever parts that the casters bolt on to, some 4" wide channel would work.

Might be too much work for you if you don't have the tools etc, so maybe just buying the Fox Mini mobile base would be easier?

I think you get the idea, get the wheels cantilevered of to the side, so the weight of the tool rides as low as possible.Cheers!

I don't weld but one of my friends has the equipment and would be able to do that for me, in a couple of years. :eek::rofl:
The man has an absolutely full plate these days.

I have about decided to go with that Shop Fox Mini.
I have just read where so many have found the ready made bases to flimsy for the drill press.

Thanks for the write up!

DT

"I like it Greg! However, this is a major problem for me. I am 5' 3" tall!!!"

So what did you do with those high heals you used to wear when you were trying to impress the ladies.:eek::):D:rofl::rofl::rofl::thumb::wave:

Here is a pic of my Radial DP on 1 1/4" MDF in a Rockler 3 wheel base similar to the Delta base. It is plenty stable for this DP. I moved this DP the length of my 24' long shop without any problem when I re-arranged the shop.

Don I am only 5'9" tall & don't have any problem with reaching the DP handle.

I should have some heels hid back there somewhere.
I think the EX left them when she stole my combat boots?
However, I prefer pumps? :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

DT

Hi Don,

Here is the one that I built. For the base I used two layers of 3/4" plywood and four double locking casters. Quick and easy to build and is very stable, not to mention inexpensive. It moves easily with one hand.

Almost per-zackerly like mine except I didn't paint mine, I only have 2 locking casters and 2 free casters w/o any movement problem (I seldom lock the ones I have), and I only used one sheet of 3/4" plywood. I guess I'm cheaper and lazier than you. But no problems and the wider stance of the playwood and casters make it more stable than w/o either.

I only have 2 locking casters and 2 free casters w/o any movement problem (I seldom lock the ones I have), and I only used one sheet of 3/4" plywood. I guess I'm cheaper and lazier than you.

Hi Bill,

I don't think so. I think that you must be better at engineering and figureing out how much strength is necessary as I just guess at it. I probably waste a lot of material overbuilding stuff. Helps to keep the economy going I suppose.

Last edited:
Don

For what is worth, here are pictures of my set up. If I had more time, skill and ambition, I would have built a cantilevered base as suggested by the good Mr. Ablett. I do not weld, nor have access to that resource so what ever I could build would have to be made using wood. I just couldn't design something which cantilevered and made me comfortable.

Overly top heavy is a real concern of mine. I think that I took care of it, but it will take some time to tell.

Good luck.

Greg

Attachments

• 126_2618.JPG
    126_2618.JPG
    63.5 KB · Views: 31
  • 126_2619.JPG
    126_2619.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Over engineering is better than the cheap rim-shot I did, I did figure that I wanted the base to reach back a bit further than the back of the motor (slam it against the wall and the motor not touch) also figured where my feet went when I approached, and brought the front forward that far, Then figured how wide, decided wide enough to add some stability if I had long boards being drilled... Looked at HD had 24" by 24" squares of 3/4" Ply and decided the BORG did my figuring for me. I thought bolting the base to the board would be strong enough to prevent any sagging and thought that I couldn't get to the back casters to lock them anyway so why spend the extra buck on locks I won't use, (see, I am cheap)

Both Greg & Allen have a pretter and most likely stronger set-up, but mine gets-er-done. No problem of the machine wanting to tip over. Can't go by the Dungeon Meister as he builds everything to hold up to Japan's Earthquakes. :thumb: If I had his goodies and spunk, I think I would build that way too. But this lazy old coot tries to keep "Frugle" at best.... :D