domino templates

Got my Rockler catalog last night, found a domino template and my dad has always wanted a high quality set of dominos in a wooden box. (okay, yeah I know, I am going to build the high quality set? :rofl::rofl::rofl:). Anyway, long story short, Rockler is out of them until Dec. 3rd, we celebrate Christmas this year with my folks on Thanksgiving. So,,,,,, the question is, does anyone know of anyother suppliers that have a domino template available?

You bring up a good point. Was thinking about going and buying a cheap set of dominoes and putting a piece of plexiglass over it and drilling to each hole, then put a solid piece of wood under the template and drilling the wood then routering the edges then cutting with the bandsaw. Any flaws to this plan? Ideas?

That sounds like a good idea. Just make sure you plan for the saw kerfs when you lay out the dominos. I imagine you could rip some scraps to the kerf width and cut them into little spacers to set between the dominoes. I'd do it on a board with a couple of fixed cleats and a couple of movable ones to clamp up the dominoes

The scrap wood between the dominos for the saw kerf, great idea! I was debating a couple of things on that scenario and that wasn't one of them. :thumb:
On the board, yeah, was thinking of two pieces at a right angle to each other, then the opposite two are movable to clamp the whole assembly in. My thought on that was, then the board I drill for my dominos should fit in the same footprint that the dominos and "kerf boards" fit in. Maybe size the template or at least permanent marker the board size on the plexiglas.
Maybe last question, should I route each domino's sides top and bottom? Best way of doing this and keeping all ten fingers. I have thought about my bench top disc/belt sander, but want a consistent edge. Thoughts on that?

How about this? Put the cleats on the plexiglas and then layout the dominoes on top, face up with spacers in between of course. Stick the dominoes down with carpet tape so they won't move. Next, drill right through the cheap dominoes and the plexiglas. Remove the dominoes and spacers but leave the cleats. Flip the plexiglas over and Presto! Domino template.

I might consider ripping strips to the narrow dimension of the dominoes and then put them in with those spacers. that way, if you screw up a row when making the new ones, you can get by with only redoing a single row.

After drilling for the pips, I would make a custom holder for the dominoes so that you can run them on the router table safely.

How about using a cheap set of dominoes as your template? Just drill through the dots and then align your new one underneath.