Planer question

Billy Burt

For those who own, or have experience with a Delta 12 1/2" planer (TP400LS), I have a question. Mine just quit. Only about 2 years old and I haven't really used it that much until a few weeks ago. Lemme explain... the motor still runs and the feed rollers still pull, but the cutter head doesn't engage (spin). I haven't removed the cover to check it out yet... I'm tired and the lighting in that part of the shop isn't the best for my tired eyes. I'll open 'er up in the morning and give it a look see. I'm hoping it's just a popped chain, but I thought I'd ask you guys if you have experienced anything like this.

Billy,

I don't have the 12 1/2" but the 12", which is the same animal inside. My thinking is that the main drive belt broke. If not that, then maybe one of the pulleys is slipping on a shaft.

I haven't used mine in quite a while and this gives me cause to check it before using it again.

Just my thoughts.

Aloha, Tony

Same here...I've got the TP305 Delta lunchbox planer, and there's a little drive belt that makes the cutter head spin. My money's on a broken belt.

Well, I'm going to be different and say that you probably have the plug in the wall socket upside down, or that the transmognifier reset switch has been reset in the wrong polarity.......:rolleyes:

I'd too bet it is the drive belt, seen it before, causes exactly what you are describing.

If you look here <link

You will find your planer at the Delta service center site.

The part is 22-563 - DRIVE BELT

Price is $18.30

Hope that is all it is.

Cheers! :wave:

Okay, so it was the belt. But it had help. After taking the cover off I found the belt in this condition. The culprit? The belt cover has wear grooves in it where the larger pulley runs and a spot where the plastic melted (from the rubbing belt). I found the nut that holds the large pulley only hanging on by a few threads. Like I said, I haven't really used the planer all that much until the last few weeks where I used it about an hour a day. I don't think it's run nearly enough hours for the nut to come loose to this extent, so maybe it just didn't get tightned up right at the factory.

You can bet I'll be keeping an eye on it for a while after I get the new belt on. Thanks again for the assist, guys! :thumb: I'd have really been scratching my head after looking at the wrong side and seeing the chains still good.

Attachments

• planer_belt.jpg
    planer_belt.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 12
Billy, did the little plastic belt cover look like this?

Fried Belt Cover 600.jpg

I caught mine before it ate the belt, but after it had melted. As I recall, in my case it was the cover itself had come loose and fallen into the belt. (It's been a couple years since it happened on mine, so the details escape me.) I've just been running mine -- what little I use it -- without the belt cover.

View attachment 14442

I caught mine before it ate the belt, but after it had melted. As I recall, in my case it was the cover itself had come loose and fallen into the belt. (It's been a couple years since it happened on mine, so the details escape me.) I've just been running mine -- what little I use it -- without the belt cover.

Same here.
Bob

View attachment 14442

Nope, still intact except for the wear marks from the large pulley and the nickel sized melted palce. I did a rather large amount of Googling last night and mine is the first I know of wehre the pulley was nearly falling off. It proabably would have if the cover looked like yours and the belt had lasted a bit longer. But I'll still keep an eye on it in the future.

Billy,

Make sure when you put that nut back on, you put a drop of locktite on the threads. Might just make life a little more pleasant down the road a bit later. :thumb:

JMNSHO. :D(Now, if I can just remember where I stashed my planer, I could check it out too.) :rofl:

Aloha, Tony

Stu,

I might agree with the transmognifier :huh: theory, but the polarity is set in China on those and you can't change it in the field. (DAMHIKT) ;):rofl::rofl::rofl:

And, the grounding pin on the plug just maybe could have reversed itself so the plug was in the recepticle backwards. :rolleyes:

Good analysis my friend. :D

Aloha, Tony