A few pens...

Got a few days off and the wife is out of town so I decided to get some Christmas gifts made. Turned these today -

Brown Box Elder Burl Comfort Slim, Gold BEB Comfort Slim, Splated Maple Burl Comfort Slim, Cocobolo Sierra, East Indian Rosewood Sierra and Bethlehem Olivewood Euro. Please excuse the dirty back drop, didn't notice that until after the photos were taken :)

Thanks for looking,
Corey

Attachments

• BrownBEB.jpg
    BrownBEB.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 36
  • GoldBEB.jpg
    GoldBEB.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 34
  • SpaltedMplburl1.jpg
    SpaltedMplburl1.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 20
  • CocoSierra.jpg
    CocoSierra.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 29
  • SierraRosewood.jpg
    SierraRosewood.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 27
  • OlivewoodEuro.jpg
    OlivewoodEuro.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 23
Thanks guys. Frank, yes these are just polished up, I have done CA, lacquer, Enduro and other high gloss finishes and they are great but these days my thoughts are why have a wood pen and cover it with shiny stuff :)

Corey

Corey,

Looks like another excellent group from a marathon day at the lathe. The more I think about that "no finish" idea the more I think you may be on to something. I think I am going to try a couple that way and see how I like them.

GREAT JOB!

The 'no finish' is, of course, a matter of personal choice. But, I fear the pens will get dirty and unattractive in short order. Finishes protect and preserve. I believe that's why they were invented in the first place.

Hi Franks, this subject get's a lot of debate on the pen turning forums as I am sure you know. One thing... there really is no need to finish good stabilized blanks as the plastic in them polishes and is a finish in my opinion. My dailey user is a walnut flat top that I have been using for about a year and a half. Originally i put a lacquer wiped on finish. It started to rub off about a year ago as the layer was thin... I just rubbed it hard and removed the rest and I love that pen... it does not look dirty at all and it has a slick sheen on it... not a high gloss or even semi gloss. I very much have to agree with Russ Fairfield in that the best finish may be none. But I understand what you say, if you look at old furniture that has the "patina" as they call it ... that patina is dirt but I think a pen unless it is rolling around in a dirty dash or left and not used will get dirty but I think it will also be detrimental to any real nice finish as well. Anyway just a few of my thoughts on the subject :)

Corey

Hi Franks, this subject get's a lot of debate on the pen turning forums as I am sure you know. One thing... there really is no need to finish good stabilized blanks as the plastic in them polishes and is a finish in my opinion. My dailey user is a walnut flat top that I have been using for about a year and a half. Originally i put a lacquer wiped on finish. It started to rub off about a year ago as the layer was thin... I just rubbed it hard and removed the rest and I love that pen... it does not look dirty at all and it has a slick sheen on it... not a high gloss or even semi gloss. I very much have to agree with Russ Fairfield in that the best finish may be none. But I understand what you say, if you look at old furniture that has the "patina" as they call it ... that patina is dirt but I think a pen unless it is rolling around in a dirty dash or left and not used will get dirty but I think it will also be detrimental to any real nice finish as well. Anyway just a few of my thoughts on the subject :)

Corey

I didn't see "stabilized" in the original post. That does make a difference. Depending on the wood, I might, or might not put something over the finished pen. But, for presentation purposes, I usually do put a caranuba wax as top coat on all my pens.