Thread: Hit a milestone (Painting saga continues)

Hit a milestone (Painting saga continues)

I quit early today. Been moving slowly today. But I have the color on the house.!

I need to get a photo but I hurt to bad and just to tired. All this climbing up and down ladders this week has done a number on my knees. My left knee is really sore. I have not checked but no doubt it is slightly swollen. Never had a serious problem but it has bothered me some since Jr. High PE classes. I have not done any bicycling since we started building the house and I can tell it. It bothers me less when I am riding regular.

I am far from done but at least the biggest part is behind me. I find the window trim, corner boards, etc. not nearly as bad. They are small enough you see your accomplishments move along pretty quickly. Of course it involves a lot of ladder work and a lot moving the ladder.

Taking the day off tomorrow and hit it again Monday.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	house.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	76.5 KB 
ID:	14417
    Last edited by Jeff Horton; 11-11-2007 at 01:56 AM.
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits

I dunno Jeff...it looks like it always did.

Tip: don't use that line when LOYL asks what you think of her new hairdo.

Congrats on the milestone, and may the pain go away quickly.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Congrats, Jeff... I'm about finished with the final coat too. I also like your choice of colors....

The green rain gutters will be a darker grey (color on the gutter above most of the the front porch) replacing the green. The door will also get painted or replaced.

I love my Graco sprayer. It sure makes things go quickly....once you get all the darn prep done...taping, paper/plastic covering. Cleanup of the sprayer, hose, gun, filters and putting everything away is close to an hour project.

I see I am not the only one that can't sleep.

You hit it on the nose Greg! I have a similar sprayer I bought when we built the house. It has paid for itself a couple of times over now. But I don't pull it out unless I have a pretty big job. It seems to take a a quart of paint just to prime the thing. Of course I bought extra hose for mine. I must have 75' of hose? Then as you said cleaning it is time consuming job too.

I have one more job with the sprayer. I have to change the colors on the garage doors I built. Then I hope I never have to use that sprayer again! I have been thinking about selling it but I keep having second thoughts about it. I figure it's paid for now and it doesn't take up much space. I would probably wish I had it someday if I sold it.

I love this color on the house. We have driven through Old Town sections and looked and tried to find ideas for the house for a long time. Nothing really jumped out at us. There was one old sad looking home with faded tanish brown paint job we sort of liked. I found a photo on the computer I saved of a Cottage with a brown color. Got with my designer friend and she came up with colors that are in my opinion PERFECT for this style of home.

Once I get the rest of the trim painted I will post another photo. I took more but without the trim finished the house looked pretty shabby. So I just used this one.
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits

Jeff,
    It's looking great! You are a better man than I - our house is slowly getting clad to reduce the painting chore. We are leaving the details though. Like the rounded sills, etc. (our place is stone and brick, so just the trim gets paint.)
    Your place is going to be spectacular when it's done. I suspect the neighbors are thrilled with all the work you have done - and the attention to detail.

Wes

PS I like the lights - we have them at the front door and on the garage - though I did modify them a bit .
    Last edited by Wes Bischel; 11-12-2007 at 12:53 AM.