First Day at the Show - Day 2 Update

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
Got done with day one of a two-day show in Pasadena. Although I didn't get skunked, it was very, very slow. It was a beautiful day (rain is predicted for tomorrow), in a great location, and the event was well advertised (even got a pic of one of my pieces in the LA Times advertisement). But almost nobody showed up. Without exception, every vendor I spoke with was having one of, if not the worst days they had ever had for sales. The couple on one side of us have been doing 2 or 3 shows every month for 20 years, and today was the first time they did not sell a single item in a day. I sold a potpourri pot, a pen, a bottle stopper, and (gasp) a cutting board (my only 3-digit sale). I ended up finishing the day a little shy of my entry fee, so hopefully tomorrow will fill the rest of the gap and then some. I sold more than any of the vendors I talked to today.

I did have a good talk with Ray Leier, the promoter of the show and one of the owners of the del Mano Gallery. He deals in very high-priced wooden artwork, like $30,000 hollow forms. He stopped by the booth to chat and check out my stuff. The first good sign was that he didn't laugh hysterically when he started picking up pieces to inspect them. He was complimentary about my stuff and had good advice for a guy in my shoes.

Enough talk...here are a few pics:

After three whole hours of sleep last night I got things loaded up this morning at the crack of dawn...it took both cars. LOML's car has the merchandise and a couple signs, my SUV has the booth, tables, and other fixtures:

Loaded Up 1 - 800.jpg

The show's location was right in front of the Pasadena City Hall. Great park-like location in front of a really cool building:

City Hall 1 800.jpg

Here's one shot of the booth. The weather was great, so we left the sidewall off the booth. The glassware booth beside us sold absolutely zero today, and they have superb stuff:

Booth 1 - 800.jpg

And another shot showing the other table, and a little glimpse of the gourd people next to us on the other side. (They sold one piece all day, and their stuff was priced between $10 and $30. Nice stuff, but no buyers.)

Booth 2 - 800.jpg

And a bonus shot of a few pieces on the table. The reflected light shows the finish pretty well on several of them:

Shiny Stuff - 800.jpg

And a parting shot of City Hall after we were done packing up the merchandise and buttoning up the booth tonight:

City Hall 2 800.jpg

We'll be back at it in the morning, and hopefully we won't need the rain ponchos. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the update Vaughn. The folks are nibbling, get ready to HOOK the BIG ONE!:D
Your booth display seems so nicely put together for visuals and your work displayed is great.
Glad you got to talk to "DA REAL MAN", the man who put the MAN in MANO!:eek::D Those are the folks with the insight, if they will share.:dunno: Anyway, good luck today, we eagerly await the final verdict.
Shaz :)

Nice-looking booth, Vaughn.:thumb:And lots of very pretty turnings. :thumb::thumb:

Did I spy a cutting board with an inlaid Kokopelli in your booth???????? I WANT IT!!! :D:D:D
Nancy (40 days)

Vaughn, you have some very nice items for sale there. I certainly would be tempted to buy some -but Pasadena is a long way from here.

I really really like the nighttime photo of Pasadena City Hall. Maybe you should make frames for that photo and sell the the framed photos. I am serious about this suggestion.

I wish you much better sales today.

Sorry you had a slow day as your display and your work should have been attention grabbing. That is the way it is with craft shows.

One suggestion, if I may, is to try different elevations for your display of work. I use sections of various sized PVC pipe and then turn wooden discs to fit and glue them on. I paint the wood white to match the PVC. Of course you could paint them any color you please or not at all.

I find that having things at different elevations gives a better view both up close and from a distance. However, I don't do many craft shows anymore because it seems many people think HGTV when they hear the word craft.

Thanks for the good wishes and such, everybody. :wave:
...Did I spy a cutting board with an inlaid Kokopelli in your booth???????? I WANT IT!!! :D:D:D
Well, yes and no. It's in the picture, but it sold Saturday. Sorry about that. ;)
...I really really like the nighttime photo of Pasadena City Hall. Maybe you should make frames for that photo and sell the the framed photos. I am serious about this suggestion...
I like the suggestion too, Frank. If I pursue it though, I'll go take another shot, so I can get the same scene without the lemonade stand in the foreground. (And I'd use my good camera instead of my little pocket point and shoot.)

...One suggestion, if I may, is to try different elevations for your display of work. I use sections of various sized PVC pipe and then turn wooden discs to fit and glue them on. I paint the wood white to match the PVC. Of course you could paint them any color you please or not at all.

I find that having things at different elevations gives a better view both up close and from a distance. However, I don't do many craft shows anymore because it seems many people think HGTV when they hear the word craft.
Thanks for the suggestions, Mike. I agree with you...I need more variation in height, for the reasons you mention. One of my original mockups for the booth used cylindrical pedestals, but I got a good deal on the black baskets, so I figured I'd see how the square baskets contrasted with all the round pieces. The baskets allow me a six different height variations, but I didn't fully use them to my advantage this weekend. I'm to the point where I'm trying to cram too many pieces into a limited amount of table space. (This afternoon I counted 45 turned items, not including the pens and bottle stoppers.) I also intend to add some more shelving, to give me more horizontal space to fill.

So...for today's update:

Items Sold: Zero
Money Made: Zero
Spending the day with my sweetie doing something different from our normal routine: Priceless.

The rain stayed away, but so did the crowds. Despite a zero dollar day, we had a great time. The neighbors in the booths on either side of us were a hoot, and I got tons of leads from other vendors for other (supposedly) good shows in the near future. The general consensus of the vendors was that the show was just not advertised enough. Also, this is the first time in about 15 years that this show has been held at this location. It originated in front of City Hall many years ago, then about 15 years ago they moved it to s different location due to downtown redevelopment projects. Now that the redevelopment is done, the show is back at the original location, but the public apparently didn't hear about it.

As I mentioned last night, the folks in the booth next to us were skunked yesterday for the first time in 20 years of doing shows. Well, I was able to be skunked in my fourth day ever, so I beat their record by a mile. The way I see it, I'll never have another show where I sell less than I sold today. And since I did have some sales yesterday, I didn't come up completely empty-handed. My loss on the entry fee was about $40, which is a pretty low price in SoCal for a fun weekend with the LOYL. And I was in good company, because there were plenty of other vendors who made less than I did this weekend.

I have no doubts my stuff will sell, it's just a matter if getting it in front of enough of the right kind of people. Nonetheless, I'm really not in this to try to make a profit...at least not yet. As I see it, the money I've spent creating my turned pieces would have been spent whether I was trying to sell my stuff or not. So any money generated by sales is essentially "found money" in my book. (I know, this isn't a real sound business philosophy, but as I said, it's not intended to be a business. It's a way to get rid of some pieces to create room at the house for more. If I can add a little money to the tool fund, it's that much better.) ;)

And a couple of obligatory pics showing the throngs of people who were shopping today. Keep in mind we were one short block away from the biggest, most upscale mall in Pasadena. We were in the right neighborhood, just not enough neighbors.

Show Scenes 2 800.jpg Show Scenes 1 800.jpg

Nice stuff, Vaughn. I wonder if maybe all the trauma of the fires, etc that has been going on out there might also have put a damper on folks and their leisure and spending to some extent. Since it was nice out, they may have just stayed home and caught up on yardwork, gardening etc.:dunno:

Thanks for the memories!

Back in 2004 I drove my wife out to Pasadena for the Art Methods & Materials show. (Her 4th or 5th trip; my 1st.) I didn't have much to do, so one day I decided to walk over from the convention center and get a closer look at the "cathedral" I had seen on our way in from the freeway. Look familiar?

DX4330_1962_PasadenaCityHall.jpg

Did you happen to notice this gent, right between the words "CITY" and "HALL" on the building facade?

DX4330_1968_GrecoRomanGent.jpg

I assume this sculpture is still there ... behind you on the right as you face the building? (Jackie Robinson and his older brother Mack.)

DX4330_1961_RobinsonBros.jpg

I'm glad you two had a good time! :thumb:

Last edited:
Cool shots, Kerry. Yep, that's indeed the place. I had noticed the guy on the facade of the building. Maybe he's Bob Pasadena or someone like that. :dunno: He's sort of ominous-looking up on the building. There's an Great and Powerful Oz-like quality to him.

The Mack and Jackie Robinson sculptures were immediately behind our booth:

Booth 4 - 800.jpg

They are nicely done. I had a good chance to check the sculptures out and read much of the writing that's embedded in the bronze. (Seems I had some time on my hands this weekend.) :p

Hi Vaughn,

Sorry the show didn't work out. Judging by the picture of the shopper(s) it would appear they stayed away in throngs.:rofl:

Do you have anymore shows before Christmas? The biggest show in my area is the Nov Nashville Flea Market which will litterally be choked with people. For most of the vendors, November is the month that pays for the other 11 at the NFM. Best of luck with your future shows.:wave:

Cool shots, Kerry. Yep, that's indeed the place. I had noticed the guy on the facade of the building. Maybe he's Bob Pasadena or someone like that. :dunno: He's sort of ominous-looking up on the building. There's an Great and Powerful Oz-like quality to him.

Vaughn,
that's show biz as it were... sales happen or don't. You've got the right attitude about the whole thing.

I had to chuckle about the Oz reference. The LOML and I live about 8 miles as the crow flies from Canastota NY, which desperately clings to the fact that Frank L Baum was born there; Annual Oz-festival and the whole works. oh, wait, I was just reminded that this year it mutated into the Oz-travaganza.

there will be other shows, and many more sales. Hang in there!

...Judging by the picture of the shopper(s) it would appear they stayed away in throngs.:rofl:
I think I'll be stealing that line, Chris. :p Very apt description.

As far as other shows, we're going to try getting into one or two more shows before Christmas. (I wasn't sure if LOML would be willing to try any more shows after this weekend, but as it turned out, she was the one pushing me to get some more shows lined up ASAP.)

I'm applying today for a show in December at the Warner Center in Woodland Hills (another affluent neighborhood). Many vendors this weekend told me it should be a good fit for my products. In checking out the show on the web, I've learned it's the 40th annual show, put on by the Rotary Club. It's advertised heavily (including multiple newspaper ads, posters, and flag banners on all the streetlights on the main drags) so the attendance should be much better. I'm also hoping that by then people will be in more of a holiday shopping frame of mind.

In my experience you have identified the two important factors, locale and advertising. The only thing worse than a show with no people is a show with thousands of tirekickers who are not in your market. Sounds like you enjoyed yourself anyway but hopefully next time you can enjoy yourself and turn a few quid as well.