Oak Bookcase

Alex Reid

Here's an oak bookcase I just finished. Nothing special really but the wood used was a few pieces of oak I had been holding onto for a couple of years. The side panels and legs are bookmatched. The legs and rails were resawn from a 12/4 piece so I took what I got out of it. There is a little too much spalting on the legs for my taste for such a piece but oh well.

bookcase1.jpg

bookcase2.jpg

Nice, love the simple look and the wood is rather nice too :D

Do you always keep that spot in your house clear for showcasing your fine work? :wave:

Cheers!

Nice, love the simple look and the wood is rather nice too :D

Do you always keep that spot in your house clear for showcasing your fine work? :wave:

Cheers!

Stu it's the only place in my house where I can get a wide enough shot. Next up on the block though is a sideboard and guess where it's going to go.

Yes Rennie, the rear panel is also resawn 1/4" oak panels, shiplapped. I should have also mentioned that in the 12/4 piece there was much quartersawn oak. The side panels are also quartersawn with some nice (hard to see in pic) ray fleck.

That's a real nice job, Alex. The style (and wood) is very similar to a chest of drawers that has been in my family since I was a kid.

Thanks all for the comments. Vaughn, with all the spalting this one came out of the shop already looking a little older. Still I hope it is in use a good long time.

I can picture it loaded down with books.
A very special piece indeed. :thumb:

In my mind Alex, that one seems to invite a nice big clock of the same type of wood to hang over it. :huh:

Beautiful work

DT