Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Benchtop jointer?

Question Best Benchtop jointer?

I have no room in my shop for anything but a benchtop jointer. Can anyone suggest which one is the best?
    Thanks
    Dennis

I was in your shoes a few years ago ... oddly enough, craftsman. They were the only ones who made a cast iron EVERYTHING (base, tables, fence) 6 1/8" jointer. Lowes sells one that has some cast iron, but some of it's aluminum, too. That delta variable speed one, i've heard, is kind of a lemon - the whole thing's aluminum and it's just too lightweight.

Here's the one i had: http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00921788000P

I sold it about a year later because i was doing projects that really needed longer beds. That jointer would do okay with parts shorter than 36" or so. Maybe a little longer.
    Last edited by Jason Beam; 11-12-2007 at 05:00 PM.
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

I used to have a Ryobi 6" tabletop jointer. It did a nice job - had variable speed, and dust collection - but boy was it ever LOUD!
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

I have the Delta that Jason didn't care for. It has been a nice little unit within a benchtop jointer's abilities. I love the variable speed and it is light enough to lift to wherever you plan to use it and heavy enough to stay there resting on a sanding / routing mat; no clamps required.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I have the Delta that Jason didn't care for. It has been a nice little unit within a benchtop jointer's abilities. I love the variable speed and it is light enough to lift to wherever you plan to use it and heavy enough to stay there resting on a sanding / routing mat; no clamps required.
    You make a good point, glenn. The weight of the craftsman was a huge issue. I actually had to build a dedicated stand for it because moving it was just rediculous. May as well have just got a stationary one. How are your aluminum beds holding up?
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Beam View Post
    How are your aluminum beds holding up?
    I keep the beds and the fence waxed and have no wear problems at all. This was a concern of mune as well. I had some issues out of the box with the cut and at first blamed my novice technique or the tool and almost fell into buyer's remorse. Then thanks to the forum, I gained a little knowledge and checked a few things. After shimming the front right corner of one of the beds ever so slightly, my problem was solved. Either that or I just suddenly got better (yeah, right).
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 11-12-2007 at 10:29 PM.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I keep the beds and the fence waxed and have no wear problems at all. This was a concern of mune as well. I had some issues out of the box with the cut and at first blamed my novice technique or the tool and almost fell into buyer's remorse. Then thanks to the forum, I gained a little knowledge and checked a few things. After shimming the front right corner of one of the beds ever so slightly, my problem was solved. Either that or I just suddenly got better (yeah, right).
    Hehe

Good to hear a favorable report. I completely spouted off on my impression but may not have considered all factors. That delta machine sounds like it's a fine machine!

I always wondered if the variable speed would see much use, too. Do you ever use any speed besides "WEEE!!!"?
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Beam View Post
    Well, I sure HOPE it's a good jointer. I bought one about a year ago, and it still hasn't seen the light of day. No place to put it ... yet.

I don't think you'll be dissatisfied, Kerry. It's not gonna joint 6' long boards, and it weighs a ton, but I never had a single issue with mine while I had it. I used it like crazy and only went through one set of knives. If i see the guy I sold it to, I'll ping him on how it's doing. He's had it almost 2 years now
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

If you go tohttp://owwm.com They usally have a few ols delta jointers floating around. They are solid and take up little space.